1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Win XP re-install & drive D

Discussion in 'Software' started by smashie, 25 May 2005.

1. smashie

smashie Cupid Stunt

Help, I've forgotten how to do this.

I've just changed my MB,CPU,RAM and graphics card, now I assumed that I would be needing a re-install of XP (and I was right).

So I backed everything up onto drive D and did a clean install on C. Now here's where I'm being dumb. I can see drive D in disk management but every time I try to read it I'm being told that it's not formatted and wuld I like to do so now.

Well the answer to that is no, so how do I get it to read this drive again?

Adding to this, looking at it more it would seem that the drive is formatted as RAW not NTFS (2 hours ago it was NTFS :wallbash: )

Last edited: 25 May 2005
  2. DeathAwaitsU

DeathAwaitsU I'm Back :D

This should sort it out, as this is usually the reason why you can't access a drive after a format :) :

Do this first: Open any folder> Tools> Folder Options > View > Scroll to the bottom & uncheck Use Simple File Sharing,

Now: Right click the drive you cant get into > Properties > Security > Advanced > Owner > click the tab that says replace owner(select the new owner as well) > Apply :)
    You should now be able to access the folder, delete those dodgy names as well (the ones that are just a load of numbers\letters)

Remember this, it comes in very useful ;) hth.

Death

3. jezmck

jezmck Minimodder

this is the kinda thing that could go into the bit-wiki.

4. DeathAwaitsU

DeathAwaitsU I'm Back :D

Good idea, if you haven't i will when i get back :) .

Death

5. smashie

smashie Cupid Stunt

Thanks Death (now that just sounds wrong :worried: )

I'll give that a go before I reformat the drive. At the moment I'm using a copy of 'Stellar Phoenix' that I got from work and that is recovering the files as I type this.

:rock: :rock: :rock:

Tags: