1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows win2k svchost crashes

Discussion in 'Software' started by VadimtheConqueror, 11 Aug 2003.

1. VadimtheConqueror

VadimtheConqueror I love the little tacos...

i have no idea why it keeps doing it, but every day, atleast once, svchost will crash on me. i thought it might be a virus, but norton doesnt turn anything up, i've formatted, and it still happens. anyone got any idea what's going on?

running win2k-sp2 on xev.

2. Kargin

Kargin Overdose . . .

Is an upgrade possible ?
    Or do you have problems with SP4 ? I'd say try that, it usually helps a bit (or breaks it beyond all hope:D).
    Other than that I'm not really sure, especially considering you've formated and it's still doing it.
    You don't run any kind of servers do you ? Have you made any changes to your firewall/router/network at all if you have one ?
    Perhaps svchost is displeased with a setting. . . .
    Your services are all intact aren't they ? haven't altered a system critical one have you ? :naughty:

Sorry I can't be much more help, good luck. :blah:

3. VadimtheConqueror

was running sp4 before i formatted, and then again when i reinstalled, figured thaty might be the cause, so i went back to 2 and it dint help. not running any kind of servers(that i know of:worried: ) and i dont think it was the settings because i havent changed anything in a long time, and it only started a week or so ago.

thanks for trying to help.

4. Ubermich

Ubermich He did it!

command prompt:

tasklist /SVC

should tell you what your svchosts are for... then you can get deeper into the problem...

5. |Jedi|

|Jedi| What's a Dremel?

6. VadimtheConqueror

it's RPCSS that's doing it. still not sure what i can do to fix that tho.

patched it, seems to be fixed now.

Last edited: 11 Aug 2003
  7. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

OK.. this problem is caused mainly by a new virus named w32.blaster.worm
    it scans IP ranges and connects to any un-patched PC on port 135, downloads the virus, adds it ot the registry and reboots your system turning your system into a virus spreading machine.
    There is a way to fix it:
    1. http://microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=2354406C-C5B6-44AC-9532-3DE40F69C074&displaylang=en Install that patch for your specific OS
    2. http://www.sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.removal.tool.html After patching download and run this.
    3. Get a good firewall, Norton/Zone alarm *should* be OK, you may even get away with the XP one!

PS: if you are runnign win2k you need SP4 to install the patch

Good luck!!!

Last edited: 12 Aug 2003
  8. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

lol this explains why i haven't had the problem... thats a dead port on my firewall.... no in/out traffic over it...

Tags: