1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding window cutting. tools? *no dremel*

Discussion in 'Modding' started by unclean, 7 Apr 2004.

1. unclean

unclean SMP obsessive

heya,
    well my project is underway, and im not at the stage of side window cutting. however, i don't have access to a dremel. will using a very fine hacksaw for the window work? i got pretty much every tool under the sun excpept for a dremel. oh, and i dont wanna be messing with the jigsaw way either. if theres no other tools people can recommend, who does a good job of cutting side windows? do overclockers.co.uk or someone else do that kind of service? thanks

2. The_Sub

The_Sub What's a Dremel?

Personally I would go with the jigsaw. However, since you stated you don't want to go that route.... Well. A hacksaw would be kind of dificult to use and get straight cuts, but it could work. Why is it that you do not want to use a jigsaw? I have been able to cut some good windows faster and better with a jigsaw compared to using a dremel. I guess that I don't have much else to say since I don't know of any companies that will cut a window for you. So good luck with your window..

3. Kermet

Kermet [custom title]

If you 'got pretty much every tool under the sun' then why not look at what you got to do, then look at your tools and choose an appropriate one. You shouldn't just restrict yourself to what people say...

A hacksaw wouldn't really work, coping saw, nibbler, drill with cutting attachments are all possibilities but it depends on what you got to do and what you case is made out of.

Finally, if you want somebody to do it for you try finding somebody with a workshop (smaller stores are usually best) who will do it for a price.

Experiment, life would be boring if everything had an instruction manual...

4. thecrownles

thecrownles What's a Relix?

if you don't mind me asking, why don't you want to use a jigsaw? :confused:

5. Stormtrooper

Stormtrooper Shh...

A scroll saw might work well... I would've used one if I had any good blades.

6. Mace

Mace Ohh, it stings.

Tip for cutting: Sandwich the metal between two pieces of thin but sturdy wood :)

Anyways, I've never cut a window with anything other than a dremel... so I can' thelp here :(

7. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

Cut a window in my case the other day Jigsaw went through it like a hot knife through butter :)

best ool for that kidn a thing unless your doing a really detailed job in which case i suppose a dremel would take over

morgan.

8. unclean

unclean SMP obsessive

ok.. well ill prolly get the jigsaw out.

tis my dads.. i can be let loose with anything manual. but power tools he gets all touchy about. im probably gonna buy my own dremel in the summer.

any particular blade for the jigsaw? cheers

9. dom_

dom_ --->

if you have a nibbler you could try that... is neat put will take a while and your hand WILL hurt

10. luvbug

luvbug What's a Dremel?

Not a poke at you, but Why don't you spend the $12 and buy a cheap jigsaw from Walmart and get the job done?

11. Naked_Dave

Naked_Dave What's a Dremel?

If it's aluminium, you can use just the blade from a hacksaw. It will take a hell of a long time, but it gets the job done, and you can be as detailed as you like.

12. whiteagle

whiteagle What's a Dremel?

I saw the other day on the tv where prisoners were making weapons out of 1/8" steel by scoring it over and over again (for about 10 hrs) with a razor blade. That might work, and your case is much thinner than 1/8".

13. Sh00ter

Sh00ter What's a Dremel?

a jigsaw with a standard fine toothed metal bit will work just dandy, make sure u mask up the whole side panel to protect it from the shoe on the jigsaw (even if it has a soft plastic one - just to be on the safe side).
    even if ur doin a fairly intricate window i would go with the jigsaw for any large cuts, its far quicker and the quality of cut will be better than a dremel with less filing needed to finish it off nice and smooth
    :thumb:

14. l'edo

l'edo What's a Dremel?

you could use a drill to make holes close together and then cut the small pices between with a cutter...

i did my blowholes in that way... its not very fast but without using a dremel.....