1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Window hanging on checking for updates.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Kronos, 14 Jan 2016.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

This PC that had the issue is probably the least decent spec as it is mainly used by my wife for surfing and Hog games. I think it has a G620 and 4Gb of RAM but as I said have never had an issue. Normally a reinstall is 2 hours or so tops, not 2 days.

2. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Started a reinstall on another PC and so the saga begins again.:wallbash:

3. Deders

Deders Modder

Try leaving auto updates on and leaving it for half an hour. You can see if it's downloading by checking the network traffic.

4. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

After installing SURT I linked to previously, which is necessary as it refuses to look for any updates as it comes up with an error code. But after installing SURT you then wait a couple of hours it will eventually download and install updates. Rinse and repeat the searching for updates until complete.
    Currently installing 171 updates.

5. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Had exactly the same on my Granddads PC (Vista Basic), took ages to get updates.
    And also had it on a win7 install, forever checking for updates, update fixer tool didn't work and various other things wouldn't work either, gave up in the end and scrapped it and put Linux on instead, :D

6. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

As I posted earlier it has downloaded 171 updates but that, obviously, was not them all and now it s hung up on downloading 74 further updates and has been for an hour.

Edit: Finally downloaded and now it will take it's time installing. But we are getting there.

Last edited: 1 Feb 2016
  7. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

And so it begins once more. Bought a bigger SSD and for some reason cloning did not work so I am doing a fresh install and so far I am getting no further than checking for updates.
    no one will convince me that this is not the work of Microsoft in it's almost fanatical desire to get us all to move to Windows 10.

I do not know how many times I have reinstalled Windows 7 on my main PC without this nonsense.

8. Deders

Deders Modder

Have you tried setting updates to auto during the install, then coming back a few hours later to see how far it has got?

It might be a clash between auto updates not actually being fully turned off despite what you set it to, and the manual update waiting for other processed to finish.

I've noticed recently (on one computer at least) that when windows is completing update related background tasks, .net framework 4 for instance, the manual updates list won't appear until it has finished.

9. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

That does not answer the question why this has suddenly started to happen. Everything in my rig is the same as it has been for a few years now bar a bigger SSD and as I have said I have done a fresh install on numerous occasions and it usually takes a couple of hours or so to install windows and my programs, this is a not so funny joke.
    But I will try what you say but I will have make sure that Windows 10 does not come down the line as I do not want that at any price.

10. Deders

Deders Modder

It might imply an unforeseen bug, but then Microsoft can be a bit sneaky. Have you ever noticed that the advertised link to either Chrome or Firefox when you initially search (usually appears above the real site) for it using IE (and I think Edge) is not from the real website, and full of nasty addins/spyware?

I think once you get the initial load of updates installed, you can switch to manual again. Then background processes have finished what they need to do, you can try going for a manual update.

I've found the GWX tool on here (I used the stand-alone version) gives you full control over the Win10m update, even if it has started you can delete all files related to it, and disable it from ever happening.

Last edited: 16 Apr 2016
  11. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

12. Kernel

Kernel Likes cheese

I recently installed 10 PC's in an education centre that has no domain or server so no WSUS. All of them hung trying to do updates so I tried WSUSoffline. Worked a treat, if you know the KB numbers of the of the GWX updates you can manually block them too.

13. onemaddude

onemaddude Minimodder

I've been having the same problem - was going fine until it installed "Update Agent 7.6.7600.320" then nothing. If you google update agent etc you will find there a thousands of hits and almost as many solutions

14. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Tell me about it. Am going to try and clone again as nothing is working.

15. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Sure I tried that before but it did not work.
    Cloning is a no no as there seems to be problems with the original drive. My fault for not disconnecting it whilst messing about with the new drive.

16. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

Tried using the update install ISOs from here?

17. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Thanks but it looks as though I would need to download 100's of ISO's.

18. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

In that case I really would give the WSUS Offline updater another shot as it's a cracking piece of software.

19. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Just installed this and got past the 'Checking for Updates' https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49540

But if memory serves downloading the updates is also a long drawn out process. * hours I have been messing about with this.

Got it on a USB stick in readiness. Thanks.

20. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Finally got all the updates downloaded and installed.