1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Window Mod question - Mounting

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Strages, 5 Jul 2005.

1. Strages

Strages What's a Dremel?

Ok, this is a really n00b question. I searched the forums and couldn't really find anything useful, but I was wondering what most of you guys use to mount windows in side panels?
    I don't want to use any of the "H" tubing because I don't like the way it feels and the way it looks. I would drill holes and just bolt it in, but I want to keep it as flush as possible. Basically, what I'm wondering about is if anyone knows what kind of adhesive you can use to attach an acrylic/plexi window to a aluminum side panel? I have a window from CrazyPC.com that uses an adhesive to attach the window to the side panel - that's what I want do.
    I was also thinking of using a slide mechansim, like using some kind of "C" bracket so I would be able to slide the windows in an out, making them changeable :D. But I'd like to find out about the adhesive first, so if anyone knows, please let me know!

2. Bboy_Jon

Bboy_Jon Minimodder

hot glue, epoxy, double stick tape, elmers glue :)

3. infered101

infered101 What's a Dremel?

Yea the c bracket is overkill unless your going to scratch it up alot and will need to replce it or take it out. Bboy is right thouhg things like epoxy work great but give them plenty of time to dry as if you dont it might slide a bit and give you a nice smeered glue spot at the top of you window( i have no clue why i know that i guess its just the fact that um IVE SEEN SOMEONE ELSE DO IT yea thats it). Oh and watch out some double sided tape is weak i tried some cheap stuff from dollar store to TRY to hold a 5.25 in place and well it didnt.

4. nick01

nick01 What's a Dremel?

If you decide to use double sided tape, look for "carpet tape". It is a lot stronger.

Someone in this forum suggested to glue flat head screws to a panel as studs for mounting fans. I think that method could work here too. Drill countersunk holes into the plastic. Then glue the screws at the matching positions onto the aluminum panel. For strength I would use epoxy.

I never tried this, but if you do it and it works, please post.

5. Guest-6374

Guest-6374 Guest

I would recommend this technique. Using JB Weld to stick metal to metal will be way stronger than acrylic to metal, and you don't have to worry about what happens if you scratch the window since you can just slide it off. I've been trying to find a way to mount my window with no markings on the outside, and this is what I'll probably do.