1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Windows 10 to be a free upgrade

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 21 Jan 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Except for the part where I quoted real, actual figures from the financial end-of-year report. At no point did I say they were making 'much money' from Windows Phone 8.1; just that they made more money from Windows Phone 8.1 licensing than from Windows 8.1 retail sales in 2014 (which, given how little they made from Windows 8.1 retail sales - the entire point of my post - still wasn't much.) Not 'logic,' just a direct quote from the company's financial report. Also, Windows Phone 8.1 != Windows 8.1, they're two distinct operating systems.
    No, you don't talk about it here. If you do, your account will be banned. By all means, discuss it on German or Austrian forums; Bit-Tech is a UK concern, and while the site and its forums are open to all nationalities it must abide by UK law if it doesn't want to get shut down. Last and final warning on that front.

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

The first rule of OEM Licence club is: you don't talk about OEM Licence club.

The second rule of OEM Licence club is: you. don't. talk. about. OEM. Licence. club.

3. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Don't let Microsoft hear you saying that.
    What with their one OS for all devices mantra there would be some very unhappy bunnies at Redmond. :D

4. Xir

Xir Modder

I drive on the right side of the street, even though that is against UK law.
    Am I allowed to talk about that? :worried:

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Given that you're in the Article Discussion sub-forum and participating in a thread titled News - Windows 10 to be a free upgrade, then talking about driving on the right-hand side of the street would be massively off-topic and likely to get you a warning at best and a temporary cooling-off ban at worst. Any further questions about the site's moderation policies can likely be answered by the FAQ or by any stickied rules posts in specific sub-fora, where applicable. If in doubt, feel free to message a moderator.

Now, is there anything on-topic you would care to add to the discussion?

6. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Anyone else spotted the sudden demand for multiple copies of Windows 7?

ffs, at least try and be subtle about it, guys.

7. Kovoet

Kovoet What's a Dremel?

Lol so true the damn scavengers

8. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

I can understand not wanting the thread to be hijacked and going totally off topic but not being able to discuss something even to the point of mentioning it without threats of bans seems heavy handed to me. Especially when the very nature of THIS topic IS about licences and the ability to upgrade from various OS versions.

If you don't like what I am saying then fine, ban me... So much for freedom of speech eh? Either way I am done with this thread and to be honest, the nature of Bit-Tech's handling of the issue has left rather a bitter taste in my mouth.

9. Gareth Halfacree

No threat implied: it's long been the case that discussing piracy (and, in the UK, reusing OEM licences on new hardware is unlawful) will get you a snotty message from a moderator, followed by a ban if you don't stoppit. Note that nobody has been banned: somebody suggested reusing OEM licences illegally, somebody else pointed out that it was illegal, a third person said "well it's not illegal where I am so yah-boo," I pointed out that it matters only that it is illegal where Bit-Tech is and that piracy talk results in bans.
    I don't ban anyone; I'm not a moderator. If I saw a post I thought was worthy of a ban, I'd report it to the moderation team to decide what should be done - the same as any other user.
    I'm a bit confused as to how the rules on your usage of this privately owned, commercial site would make you think you had freedom of speech? A forum which was completely open to freedom of speech would be overrun with spam in minutes. Heck, even 4chan bans people for stepping over the mark, f'gawd's sake.
    What nature of Bit-Tech's handling? As far as I'm aware, Bit-Tech (the corporate entity) hasn't been involved. I've been involved, but I'm not Bit-Tech. I'm not even a staffer (despite what the stock message below my name might say): I'm a freelancer. I'm only here to post the news. Outside of that, I'm Just Another Forum User.

10. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Bit tech not being willing to host a discussion where you explain how to breach Microsoft's EULA, and therefore break the law, is somehow impinging on your right to free speech?

11. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Multimodder

I'm not sure what the problem is here, Bit-Tech not willing to allow talk of piracy or circumventing the laws of the country in which the site/forums are based is surely common sense and absolutely correct.

Last edited: 27 Jan 2015
  12. Xir

Xir Modder

I'd like to make one thing clear:

I had no intent of advocating piracy.
    I registered my (pre-used) product with Microsoft, and they decided it was genuine, and legitimate.
    In the UK, their verdict would have been different, as your courts have decided different from the German ones.

My only point was that the case in question isn't unlawfull everywhere, even if it is in the UK.

At no point did I want to entice anyone in the UK to break the law.

Last edited: 28 Jan 2015
  13. Xir

Xir Modder

Your quite right, sorry.

Back to Topic:

in hindsight I'm very sorry to have missed the cheap upgrade from XP to Win8 when it was possible. (Which would now allow the upgrade to Win10)
    Is there any information if there is to be such an offer for those who are not entiteled to the free upgrade (XP-Users) again?

14. Gareth Halfacree

Nothing yet, but I'd be amazed if they didn't replicate the cheap upgrade offer for Windows 10. I'd guess that =>7 will get the upgrade free, while <7 will be given a similar ~£25 upgrade offer to the last time. Whether it'll last for the whole year like the freebie upgrade, I don't know; it could be Microsoft places an artificial sense of urgency on the thing by limiting it to six months or less. If there isn't a time-limited cheap way to upgrade from <7 to 10, it'd come as a shock.

15. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Apart from the few geeks who run XP on decent hardware just because, I wonder what the current market looks like for computers running XP. How many of those are old legacy systems that still run XP due to archaic software or peripheral requirements? Of those systems, how many will actually run Windows 10 without breaking compatibility for one or all of the required bits?

16. jimbok11

jimbok11 What's a Dremel?

I'm guessing they're also trying to entice businesses (many of which run really out of date Windows) to upgrade and be on a consistent platform...

17. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Well no, as the the Enterprise/Volume Licensing versions aren't eligible for the free upgrade iirc... Though there may be some form of sweetener to get Volume Licensing users to switch it almost certainly won't be free.

18. forum_user

forum_user forum_title

have any of you guys dual booted Win 10 yet? I wouldn't mind taking a look, but I'm not making the same mistake of making it my main OS like I did Win 8.

19. Xir

Xir Modder

This is what we do all day here.
    Old legacy production machines without Internet Connection.
    Most on XP, some even on 2000.
    Who cares about updates?

Only problem is getting parts, hardware wise, not software.
    PATA drives are getting hard to find, we're switching to PATA-Flash drives.
    old motherboards, old processors...
    They usually have to be pretty much exactly the same for to backups to run flawlessly.

That said, the trend (for us) is to move to virtual machines, so we can continue with the old XP-based-software on modern hardware. :D