1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Windows 11 available on new PCs, updates roll out

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 5 Oct 2021.

1. bit-tech

bit-tech Supreme Overlord Lover of bit-tech Administrator

Read more

2. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Meh, really not feeling this one at all. I've said it before: Getting excited about an OS is akin to waxing lyrical about the tracks your morning train runs on.

There will be plenty of sacrificial lambs out there, jumping all over it and taking the pain. I'll raise a glass to those sobbing wrecks and maybe I'll throw it up on a spare machine to have a play, then install it on my main rig in a couple of years or so.

3. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

I'll upgrade when it is offered but, not going to push it. With any luck, any bugs that only surface once there is mass usage, will have been fixed by then.

4. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Meh. With a combo of Lutris, Proton on Steam & Legendary Games Launcher, why would I need to boot Windows anymore?

5. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

I'll wait until some of the bugs are worked out thanks!

I've confirmed that my desktop can run Windows 11, but I'm not in a hurry to upgrade anytime soon - stability is more important to me at this point that shiney new features. As far as productivity is concerned, my work laptop is still running a Windows 10 build from 2019, so it's going to be a while before that gets upgraded! (I have no control over it)

6. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Unable to install as not compatible. Also unable to muster up any upsetness at the moment.

7. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

You don't have to wait - if you don't fear change (or random crashes :D), you can install or download the ISO using the Windows Installation Assistant or Windows Media Creation Tool from here

8. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

I’ll be putting windows 10 on to any new build I decide to put together. New windows operating systems are always garbage for the first few months as they plug holes and remove “features”.. (things they broke).

9. monty-pup

monty-pup Minimodder

Was Windows 10 so broken under its skin that MS has had to create a whole new version?

Is Win 11 even a new OS … is it just a theme slapped into Win 10?

In 10 years will we be able to tell MacOS from Windows?

10. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I mean... technically Windows 11 is simply an update to Windows 10 which was an update to Windows 8.1 which was an update to Windows 8 which was an update to Windows 7 which was an update to Windows Vista which was an update to Windows XP which was an update to Windows 2000 which was an update to Windows NT 4.0 which was an update to Windows NT 3.51 which was an update to Windows NT 3.5 which was an update to Windows NT 3.1 which was, confusingly, the first-ever Windows NT release and effectively the only one which earned the moniker "Windows New Technology."

No, really. Look at the version numbering: Windows 11 is Windows NT 10.0.22000.194. It's been layers of paint and baling wire going all the way back to 1994.

wyx087 and IanW like this.
  11. monty-pup

monty-pup Minimodder

There has to be a must have reason? The “you NEED this version or your world will end!”. I bet there is one but they won’t use that sales’ pitch until everyone has beta tested this release for them, then MS will unleash the “oh damn … it turns out Win10 has eleventy backdoors that the Russians have been abusing! Upgrade nowwwwww $$$$”

12. sandys

sandys Multimodder

11 is one better than 10, therefore you must upgrade, that is all :D

13. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Their new slogan should be "Windows: Now goes all the way to 11" :grin:

ModSquid likes this.
  14. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

/me sniggers from Kubuntu 21.10

15. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Linux *spits*making us tech nerds look simple and dim from the sidelines with Our windows devices :grin:

16. sandys

sandys Multimodder

It'd make me buy it :D

All that will happen with this release will be standard Windows release path.

MS: we have new OS
    People: big whup!
    MS: it has new stuff and is cool, it goes to 11 !!!!! try it.
    People: rubbish for games, don't like XYZ, I'm not going to use it.
    MS: New PCs can only have 11, old OSs will be deprecated, we will win, you just can't see it yet, Muwha ha ha ha :p
    People: Nope
    MS: releases new tech or games only on 11
    People: Um OK, I'll try it
    MS: Muwha ha ha ha!!!
    People: slowly realize the world doesn't end with change

A few fringe people will try something else, but ultimately 11 infects the world like a virus as there is still no viable alternative really for the majority of people who want to use the stuff they always use.

MS Wins.

MS: backports new stuff to old OS for the die hard 10 stalwarts and gives them an expiry date.

End.

17. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Didn't they redevelop the core kernal with 7 because they litterally didn't have engineering who understood the old one any more and thats why 7 suddenly leaped ahead in perform,ance and stability?

18. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

I thought that was Vista and that's why Vista suddenly had a lot of bugs

I'm going to wait a while until I can be bothered to install and configure it. Hopefully the nag can be made to disappear.
    (looking at you, Apple's ugly red (1) for the Settings icon)

19. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Depends on your definition of "redevelop." It's still the NT kernel at heart, and thus not a "new OS" - but, then again, you don't want a new OS 'cos if you've got an actually new OS then none of the software written for your old OS is likely to work.

For perspective: I'm writing this from an operating system which only recently lost the ability to boot on an 80286, and which could regain said ability again with a third-party patch set. New ain't always better!

Bloody_Pete likes this.
  20. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

They need to get Christopher Guest et al to advertise this... on behalf of MacOS or Linux!

Tags: Add Tags