1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows 7 Home Premium Retail questions

Discussion in 'Software' started by Gupta, 17 Mar 2012.

1. Gupta

Gupta What's a Dremel?

Hello everyone, new member here.

I'm looking at doing 2 builds, firstly a small itx project, then probably a full desktop pc.
    Like the twit I am, the first thing I bought was Windows7 Home premium Retail, without any knowledge of the activation issues.

If I build the itx pc, and then don't like it, is there anything to stop me from using my W7 on a desktop project afterwards? I'd change the itx over to linux if I did build the desktop.

If the itx pc turns out ok for me, I'll stick with that, but I don't want to "waste" my W7 if I need a full desktop later on.
    Any activation will be over the phone, as these won't be for use on the internet.

Thanks a lot
    Garry

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

There is no problem. Windows 7 Retail is transferable from one system to another.
    As long as it's installed on only 1 system at a time, you are good.

If Windows fails to activate online as you transfer it (too short period between this second install, or done too many time in the month), you will prompted to do a Phone activation. This is really easy, and really fast. You'll be presented with a toll free number to call, and a code. You call it, and you'll get a machine, asking your to enter the code, do so, and then it will ask you if you have Win7 installed on more than 1 system. If you say yes, then you'll be transferred to someone, who will explain to you that your license is for 1 system only. And to choose to either transfer it, or purchase another license. If you say no, than Windows 7 will be activated. If you lie, then it will come to a moment where both system will need to an activation refresh, and this is when it will fail, and both system will tell you that Windows is not genuine, and a phone activation will be done.

3. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I've transferred a win7 OS between 3 rigs and back to the first one in a matter of weeks and had no problems activating it on line each time

JBond likes this.
  4. Gupta

Gupta What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the replies:)
    So if I'm not using the pc online, I'll have to re-activate every so often?

Garry

5. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Windows will access the web every now and then to make sure that you have a valid license.

I don't know what happens with people without internet. My guess, is that you will prompted for the first time for a phone activation (normal, no internet), and because you did that, it knows you don't have internet, and it regularly checks if you have any sort of internet to activation the system for the automatic license check system.