1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows 7 or Windows 8 - New Build

Discussion in 'Software' started by Darkmoonshine, 10 Sep 2012.

1. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

It seemed about the same as Windows 7 on an SSD for boot speed.

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

On my laptop:
    -> Corsair Force GTX 120GB
    -> Core 2 Duo P8400 2.2GHz
    -> 4GB of RAM
    -> Nvidia Quadro NVS 160M 256MB
    -> Windows 8 Pro 64-bit
    > SATA-2

Takes 11sec to boot to desktop/StartMenu

On my desktop, see signature, with Windows 7 Professional 64-bit, using a faster SSD: OCZ Vertex 4 256GB, plugged on SATA-2 as well -> Windows 7 boots to desktop in 19sec.

My measurement starts as soon as the OS loads (so after the BIOS does its stuff, and before the Windows logo shows)

3. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Ive tried my hdd on dual boot mode, and it was still pretty fast, but Ive been looking for an excuse to get an ssd :D are the samsung drives still the best?

4. GoodBytes

Best in what?
    They seam to be more reliable over other SSD. But the OCZ Vertex 4 is faster (especially with firmware 1.5) and cheaper than Samsung 830. The Vertex 4 seams to be much more reliable than previous OCZ products. Please note that I am considering Canadian/U.S prices.

5. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Well the V4 is £5 more expensive, but the samsung drive is 'meant' to be a better all rounder. I take it firmware 1.5 offers speed improvements. Full windows 8 installed now, currently at the bottom of the learning curve :)

6. GoodBytes

Give Win8 a month or two. Be sure to add folders to the Start Screen. I also recommend to put the most used program on your task bar, followed by close to the start screen corner edge button, and least used on the far right.

7. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

When everyone was moaning about the start menu not being there, I realised the only think I used it for was to search, as I have most programs or shortcuts on the taskbar/desktop anyway. I dont want to do too much as I want to do a fresh install on my ssd later in the week.