1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Windows 7 pricing unveiled

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 26 Jun 2009.

1. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Slap a live Linux CD in for 10 minutes to download a browser?

I just got an email from M$ for Win7 at 1/2 price. Price yet to be determined in the Colonies?

john

2. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

you could just download the MSDN US version that has IE in it the key for it should still work for it when it comes out

or most shops will stock 1-2 copys of the E version and all the others will be norm windows 7 (if thay can do that or buy it online)

3. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

I always keep a firefox 3 installer on my flash voyager so i don't have to use IE to go to getfirefox.com. The lack of IE should be no problem for me. In fact it's a welcome feature, i was wondering if i could remove it from XP without breaking anything anyways.

4. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

the problem is a large percentage of users are still average joes, heck I wont be surprised if they dont know what Linux is, it may sound easy for alot of us, but in reality, it will very much sound complicated and a burden to a some people.

5. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

No need for any *NIX distro, John. Just an USB stick with the installer. :thumb:

6. Bonzo45

Bonzo45 Ex CPC

I don't see the point of making MS take IE out of Windows 7, considering Apple can bundle Safari perfectly without anybody giving a c***.

It's just another little thing to get people worked up about!

£50 seems quite reasonable for 7 Home Premium, will be getting that, shame you can't upgrade from the BETA however, that would have been a nice feature, I will just have to install my junk all over again (again).

Bonzo

7. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

How will not having IE built in affect the functionality of (among other things) Steam and Media Center/Player?

8. Bonzo45

Bonzo45 Ex CPC

Actually, I think steam uses Internet Explorer, in some way for it's web features. If Internet explorer is in Offline Mode the Steam web doesn't work!

9. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

So will we need a separate version? Valve might get hit with an anti-trust if they force us to use IE! (Bloody EU)

10. frojoe

frojoe What's a Dremel?

good point about steam. On a clean install I installed flash player to firefox and not ie, and steam wasn't displaying properly, then I had to download flash for ie and it worked. I wonder what valve will do for you guys in the EU.

11. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

IE will still be downloadable. Infact, I bet there'll even be a download link in the retail version.

Almost certain that this will not affect Steam any more than a warning saying "If you want to use xxxx features, you need to install IE and Flash" or something.

12. scot

scot What's a Dremel?

bye-bye

Just look at the responses above, to the latest news on the world's standard operating system.
    Noone knows exactly what the future holds for him/her! :eeek:
    Well, I'm off to Linuxland - Ballmer can stick my eleven years of misery, and servitude to Windows instead of using it to accomplish things, where the sun will never shine. :thumb:

Tags: Add Tags