1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows 7 won't update

Discussion in 'Software' started by javaman, 23 Jul 2016.

1. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Hey Everyone.

I went to upgrade the parents laptop to windows 10 to discover it hasn't been carrying out windows updates. When I select to check for updates a pop up saying "Windows Update cannot check for updates, because the service is not running. You may need to restart your computer".

checking online I came across a few things on windows own forms that basically amount to restarting the service, however this service isn't even appearing to be able to restart it.

Has anyone came across this before and what is the best way of solving it? Would upgrading to windows 10 solve the issue and if so is it possible to do upgrade as Windows hasn't updated in so long to even pass notifications about windows 10 that everyone so loves.

thanks.

2. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Upgrading to Windows 10 requires Windoiws Update

I recently factory reset a couple of my laptops to Windows 7 and Windows update was painful - I left them running over night a couple of times before it started pulling down updates from the servers.

3. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Not quite, you can update using the media creation tool too...

4. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I didn't know that, cheers!

5. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

You could try using this to bring the updates in..

http://download.wsusoffline.net/

Sometimes using this actually get Windows update working again. If it was my laptop I would back up the data and do a fresh install. Use the Windows 10 media creation tool and burn the ISO it generates to a DVD.

Once installed activate Windows 10 with the product key thats on the sticker somewhere on the laptop. If they have Office installed make sure you have the media and product key to reinstall that too.

6. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

or use an 8GB usb stick for the media creation tool

7. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

Thanks everyone. I'll back up everything then try using media creation tool. Is it possible to get a windows 10 ISO from MS own website?

8. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

I'm sure Microsoft has deliberately broken Windows Update on anything other than Win10, to try and make people upgrade.

I've got a PC that would not perform any updates on Win 7, no matter what I tried, which was everything, it wouldn't have it. Gave up with it in the end and stuck Linux Mint on it for a change.

9. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I agree. It usually takes 3 or more hours to find recent updates on all my Windows 7 & 8.1 systems

10. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Yes, it is.

You need the media tool, which can be found here;

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209

Select the appropriate version, and you're off to the races! :)

For what it is worth, I recently updated a PC that I got from Shirty to Win 10, it took eight or nine full downloads, four attempts and finally I just left it overnight to let it do its thing. I woke up to a welcome to Windows 10 screen. What an utter pain. Never again! We haven't got long to take the option, but I have never had such a painful experience updating to Win 10... until that one.

11. techhead

techhead Minimodder

Microsoft have made it very hard to verify Windows 7 and update it after a fresh install from image. As I have just found this out after doing a fresh install of Windows 7.

Windows verification.

When you install your fresh image of Windows 7 and you come to the part where it gives you three options where it asks you about your Windows update settings do not let it update (turn them off)
    Then go to my computer/ properties and activate your copy manually.

Then go to windows update ( for some strange reason after taking the first 10 updates for Windows 7 will not activate over the Internet)

Windows update
    after your first 10 updates from the Microsoft server and you've installed service Pack 1 your PC will not update it will just keep searching and find nothing (six hours of searching Windows update server)
    after a few hours poking around the Internet I found this Microsoft standalone updater

KB3112343 64bit
    this is direct from the Microsoft site. Download it to a folder and run it will install and then check for updates you will find 248 updates in one go thats 1244MB

what a complete and utter nightmare to do a simple install and update.