1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows 7

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Denis_iii, 27 Apr 2009.

1. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

my laptop is old and struggling, will Windows 7 work with Vista GPU,Chipset and Audio drivers?

2. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

What laptop have you got?

If it works with Vista it should work with 7. I tried installing Windows 7 on my laptop and it worked, but since it was too old there weren't any Vista drivers available so I couldn't get most things to work properly.

3. Turbotab

Turbotab I don't touch type, I tard type

Probably, but don't expect to use the Aero interface. W7 is less of a resource hog, but it still prefers to have a min of 1GB ram.

4. Denis_iii

i've got a evesham voyager 720dc aka clevo m575u
    currently running winxp mce 32bit
    there are vista drivers on clevo's website
    my hope is a smoother running machine and be able to install new nvidia drivers as anything older then 2007 doesn't work

5. Turbotab

How much RAM is installed and what proc is it. Windows 7 is not going to make the laptop any faster than XP.

6. Denis_iii

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T7200 2ghz, 1GB mem
    but it should allow to use more up to date nvidia drivers....

7. Turbotab

What graphics chip and drivers do you currently have. As far as the Nvidia site is concerned the driver releases for XP and Vista are the same all the way back to Go 7 series chips.

It is better to install another 1GB or more of RAM. Is your hard drive constantly being accessed?

8. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

You can run it! I have the same specs except 2GB ram. What gfx card you have? Im assuming this is a dell or toshiba laptop by the specs.. so either an Intel GMA950ish or Nvidia GeForce Go7300/ATI Radeon x1300-x1400. Nvidia has drivers for Win7 specifically. Link is here. you might want to looking at upgrading your ram to 2GB or if you can go higher, 4GB. Hope this helps!

9. Denis_iii

have a geforce 7900gtx go 512mb
    aren't the graphics drivers and especially sound drivers completely differnet for vista/windows7 compare to XP as Microsoft complete changed the way kernel and driver access works?

the driver version on nvidia site doesn't work, install, restart, see windows logo and then just shows blank black screen when should show logon box
    this happened with older nvidia drivers and all the new nvidia drivers with modified inf files on laptopvideo to go
    this is why i want to run windows7/vista in the hope will be able to run newer drivers which will resolve my choppy fps lag issue in L4d and also newer drivers will give me better performace in games
    the FPS lag is not due to graphics settings or res, the game will play fine with loads of zombies on screen and **** hitting the fan in L4D, but then in the same location when its quiet i'll suddenly be hit by fps lag

10. Turbotab

Upgrade your RAM first. L4D is a DirectX 9 game, so Vista / W7 would provide no major benefit.

11. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

Up your ram and you shouldnt have this problem, however, trying to run L4D on Vista with your current setup will not improve anything. It will, infact, do the opposite. Trying to run it on Win7 will be in between XP and Vista. I am running Vista Ultimate 32 bit and i play halo and Half Life and I get random lag spots, so try to stay with XP if you can. Vista will just make your gaming expierence suck on your current hardware. Unless you are trying to do a DX10 or when it comes out DX11 game, stick with XP. DX10 is Vista only, DX11 is supposed/rumored to be Win7 only...

bingo! Xp uses a different kernel than Vista, Vista and Win7 are for the most part the same kernel, but there are a few differences, so most Vista drivers will work with Win7. However, The Nvidia graphics drivers for Win7 need to be used because of a bug with the Vista drivers and PNP devices. Are you using the drivers i linked to on xp or win7? They are for Win7 ONLY. Sound drivers, are mostly the same for Vista and Win 7. Sigmatel chips are recognized with WDDM or Vista drivers, so no worries there.

12. Turbotab

Denis tell me you didn't try and DL Win7 drivers onto your XP machine, hehe

13. Denis_iii

there are currently no win7 drivers for my laptop and doubt there will be
    i'm going to re-install winxp pro instead of winxp mce, read about the fps lag being caused by a mce update
    also, its my only machine and want to try out win7 as looks sweet
    plus fingers crossed newer nvidia drivers from nvidia will work not from manufacturer
    i'm not fussed about directx9/10/10.1 or 11 when its out, just want smooth gameplay but this fps lag i'm getting in L4D is a bug somewhere in driver or a windows update as it used to run perfectly

14. null_x86

null_x86 Thread Closer

dude, the drivers on the windows 7 page on nvidias site are for anything that is capable of supporting Vista (IE Your Laptop!)... Just stick to XP Pro with DX9

15. Denis_iii

Dude, any of the drivers on nvidia's website for my laptops 7900GTX don't work which sucks balls so I won't stick to WinXP MCE if windows 7 RC (which i'll be downloading and installing day its avialable) works. If it doesn't, then I'll try WinXP Pro

16. Denis_iii

so anyways, i've installed WIndows7 and what a dream
    no its not perfect, but my word it is such a pleasure to use
    all my drivers work perfectly, no more FPS lag trouble, was able to install most recent nividia driver from laptopvideo to go
    no more fps lag in leftforddead, i had to run it at 1440/900 before with bad fps and fps lag at times, now am able to run at 1920/1200 again no issues
    just need to figure out windows7 audio though, in xp had a tick box in audio driver and i could boost the DB but its not in Windows 7
    small loss, just need to find correct version of Realtec HD Audio but to anyone thinking of trying Windows 7 go for it
    not as your primary OS mind, and it was a breeze to instlal, i mounted the iso image in xp, kicked off the install to a second partition and WALA, dual boot :)
    big up M$, well done sir, you will have my cash for retail verison of Windows 7 on release day
    just hope you let me run it on my laptop AND pc with one licence

17. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

they never have, and never will, allow that. that doesn't mean they will actually stop you from doing so, and in the grand scheme of things, nobody's going to get sued for doing that.

18. Turbotab

What happens once you have activated one copy of the OS, will it allow you to activate it again, on different hardware? (Referring to the retail product, not RC)

19. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

sometimes yes. sometimes it will ask you to phone activate. this is what puts of most actual illegal users.

20. GK7

GK7 What's a Dremel?

...unless it's an OEM disc - which I think is tied to the first hardware install.