1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows 8 Marmite thread... Because you either love it or hate it

Discussion in 'Software' started by TheStockBroker, 28 Feb 2012.

?

Windows 8: what is your opinion?

1. Love it: I'm already using it or planning to do so.

59 vote(s)
    41.0%
  2. Hate it: this evil spawn of Satan will never defile the sanctity of my computer.

37 vote(s)
    25.7%
  3. It's OK with a Start Menu replacement and while bypassing Metro.

48 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

ed bott has done a write up about why microsoft can't provide a free dvd player, and vlc can

2. Jehla

Jehla Minimodder

I'd argue that it's a fine UI. I think it's about time to write WMC off though, it has been left to stagnate for years while iplayer, 4od and netflix have become mandotary and now MS are side lining it.
    It seems to me that MS are putting all their media eggs in a noisy, power sucking Xbox shaped basket, which also lacks live tv & DVR.

I'll hold out hope that google tv can wrap tv, DVR & on demand services into one package...

Last edited: 7 May 2012
  3. TehKrak3n

TehKrak3n What's a Dremel?

Havent had time to test myself - does anyone know how the Start Screen looks on multi-monitor/eyefinity?

4. dullonien

dullonien Master of the unfinished.

Because Windows sees an eyefinity display as one big monitor (if I understand correctly), then the start screen will fill all the monitors in your configuration. On a normal multi-monitor set-up where Windows sees separate monitors, the start screen (and metro apps) is only displayed on the primary monitor.

5. impar

impar Minimodder

6. dullonien

Anyone tried making custom metro shortcut icons (tiles) for programs and files that don't have any? The Start Screen would look a lot nicer if all programs and files had proper tiles, and not the small icon in the bottom left.

I've just had a look at the Windows Store icon (had to extract it from a dll file), and opening it in Photoshop using Telegraphics .ico plugin, shows that the .ico contains 13 icons, including a large 256x256, 24 bits/pixel PNG (RGB) icon, which must be the large icon used on the start screen I guess. I'll try extracting just this icon, and apply it to a test shortcut to see if it works. If it does it wouldn't be difficult to make some, or modify existing icons.

Edit. Nope, didn't work. That just changed the small icon in the bottom left of the tile. I don't think I've got the knowledge to work this out, so I won't waste any more time.

Further edit: Obvious that wasn't the correct icon now. Looks like the correct icons are saved in the C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\**appname**\images folder. The main tile appears to be a 150x150 pixel png, with a transparent background. Colour must be specified in the code of the app I'm guessing. Doesn't get me any closer to being able to make custom tile icons for non metro programs and folders though.

Last edited: 11 May 2012
  7. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

8. Scroome

Scroome Modder

Hi Guys

I installed the Win 8 Beta a month back, and it has been working fine until today. I had downloaded some updates for it first thing this morning and for some reason I now get an error message on startup that says JET Exception Rel. 8102.0: JET Exception: Function "jetinitex( pinstance, 0, grbit | 0x00000020 )" raised exception 0xc0000005 (EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION) at address 0x6e6ec2b8 (base:0x6e670000, exr:0x0065e81c, cxr:0x0065e86c). PID:4440, TID:0xeb4

I try to close the error and select cancel to debug, but it tells me window 8 has no debugging software installed. When the error crops up my whole system just drags and I can't even get Firefox or Explorer to Run.

I've tried uninstalling the updates and downloading debugging sofware from Microsoft, but neither of these seems to have had any effect?

Any ideas people?

I can provide a screen shot of the error later, if anyone wants it.

Thanks

9. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

10. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Don't think so, it does all what these software does. Including showing on the running program in the proper task bar. If you drag a window to screen 2, the task bar item will move to task bar 2. Plus it locks the mouse on edges, to access the Start Screen for that screen, and charms.

11. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

Just off the top of my head... it's not clear whether you can have the clock and notification area on both displays, or whether you can pin apps to each taskbar instead of just the central one. Or whether it supports snapping windows to the edges of the monitors. And that's just off the top of my head but I'll be able to think of more.

So I doubt it will negate the need for 3rd party software.

12. dullonien

No you can't have the clock and notification area on both displays, just the primary. I'd like the option to choose which display they appeared on. Also you can only pin taskbar items to the primary screen taskbar, again somethign I'd like changed.

You can snap windows to all edges of both screens other than the centre two.

13. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

^That's why I use displayfusion, and probably will if I ever 'upgraded' to Win8, although that's very unlikely in the near future.

14. GoodBytes

Some of the multi-monitor features I mentioned and presented on the video isn't on the consumer preview. Just saying, for those who are trying to see how it works.

15. dullonien

Just watched the video, looks promising and removes one of the problems I had with gesture corners. The snap feature on the shared edges makes sense, and could translate to windows being able to take advantage of it and snap there too.

I'm also excited to see that the start screen and metro apps will be available on both monitors. Excellent news.

Overall, it's great to see MS taking multi monitors seriously at last, can't wait for the Release Preview now to test these new features. This is one area that Windows8 will be a huge leap forwards from Windows7.

16. GoodBytes

Windows 8 new desktop layout:
    [​IMG]

Full article on the design, and evolution of Windows desktop:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/05/18/creating-the-windows-8-user-experience.aspx

17. dullonien

Interesting. Good to see that they've unified the experience a little. I think they could have gone further without destroying compatibility, but it's certainly a step in the right direction. I would have liked to see borders removed altogether, but I can understand the reason not to go that far with Windows 8, maybe Windows 9, after all gradual steps will keep most happy.

A little disappointed that it doesn't look like we'll be able to experience all the changes talked about in the Consumer Preview, but it will still be nice to test the ones that do make it in. Sounds like the Consumer Preview will introduce a lot of subtle changes to the desktop experience, while up until now we've only really been introduced to the metro side of things as far UI changes go.

Windows 8 is sounding better and better with every update imo.

18. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

It just gets worse and worse and worse... :(

If they just called it Windows Tablet and got on with making a propper new OS for machines with Keyboards and Mice then I think people would see this differently.

19. 3lusive

3lusive Minimodder

Well, with the number of tech people from within the industry already criticising the failure of metro to function adequately on a desktop, I do believe it's an indication that sales will be hurt by MS's decision to release Win8 in its current state.

If sales are hurt enough, it will compel them into 'making a proper new OS for machines with Keyboards and Mice'.

20. dullonien

I don't quite understand the problems people have with metro and the start screen. Is it just because it's different?

I didn't find the start menu all that user friendly under Windows 7, because it wasn't used for all that much any more. All my most commonly used programs are pinned to my taskbar (where they're most easily accessed), then the less commonly used programs were in my start menu. The same is still true under Windows 8, except now the start screen has become more than just a way to access less commonly used programs, but also a hub to check whether I have new mail, if anyone's sent me a facebook message or notification, the weather, and the usefulness will increase as more programs take advantage of the push notification system.

Is the fact that it takes up the whole screen an issue? Not imo, despite being used on a 24" screen (I know many have 27"+, but still). It only takes a small movement in my wrist to move across to the other side of the screen and select a program/folder/app. The start screen still looks a little messy at the moment without nice full size icons for all programs, but program updates should fix that.

Yes it takes a little time to get used to, but I don't really see any downsides other than 'it's different', but see many improvements in the form of push notifications.