1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows 8 Marmite thread... Because you either love it or hate it

Discussion in 'Software' started by TheStockBroker, 28 Feb 2012.

?

Windows 8: what is your opinion?

1. Love it: I'm already using it or planning to do so.

59 vote(s)
    41.0%
  2. Hate it: this evil spawn of Satan will never defile the sanctity of my computer.

37 vote(s)
    25.7%
  3. It's OK with a Start Menu replacement and while bypassing Metro.

48 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Even then I think it's just coincidence. Zune is nothing to be ashamed of --it was one of Microsoft's best creations. If they hadn't cocked up the marketing and support it could easily have rivaled the iPod.

2. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

I Believe Goodbytes is French Canadian, so mightn't be aware of isn't

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

GoodBytes Said:
    This is really not the case. Vista IS NOT even getting that treatment. The treatment being spoke of, is the fact of ignoring it. This means, that Microsoft talks and mentioned/mentions Vista, and it is found on marketing material of the company related of old products. Any sort of resources related to is easily found on Microsoft website (compared to the rest).

4. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

5. loftie

loftie Multimodder

Agreed completely on the mobile front. Any company unable to shift more than 100m smartphones a year should just get out of the business.

That'll leave us with Samsung, Apple and, well no-one.

OK, maybe 100m is too many, lets make it 50m instead. That'll leave us with, Samsung and Apple.

Basically, if you aren't Samsung or Apple, you aren't selling 'many' smartphones. Considering how many people moan about WP8 and how bad/lacking it is, Nokia selling 30m units in 2013 is pretty good imo.

http://www.gartner.com/newsroom/id/2665715

6. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Isn't the Gartner report a bit outdated ? IIRC Microsoft didn't acquired Nokia until April 2014, the Gartner report only covers the year before that.

7. Nexxo

Personally, I like the diversity of competition. Apple and Samsung have become complacent and lazy. HTC still turns out awesome hardware, Huawei, OPPO and Xiaomi have been making some rather nice devices too. And I really look forward to Google's Ara. They will never sell hundreds of millions of them, but I'm glad that the choice is there.

That's the problem: WP8 is actually quite good. The perception lingers that it is not. Moreover it has just a few tiny, simple but frustrating flaws that despite many people complaining about for years Microsoft keeps failing to address --such as the Calendar only retaining the last two weeks of appointments even when the associated email account is set to retain all data from the beginning. For a mobile from a company that is ostensibly oriented towards enterprise and productivity, that is a glaring omission.

Meanwhile Android L is out-Metro-ing Metro and becoming increasingly sophisticated and coherent. Microsoft really should have tied its skates on years ago, but it's too busy reorganising and deciding what direction it will go in, rather than just picking one and sticking at it. Thus it lost Zune, it lost the e-Reader, it lost the tablet and the mobile market. It can never decide whether something fits in its business plan, rather than making the business plan respond to the market.

Last edited: 31 Jul 2014
  8. GoodBytes

That is why Microsoft fired all 18 000 people. Microsoft tries to be more agile.
    I don't know if these 18000 includes a bunch of managers. But if it does, great. If not, then the company won't be more agile, and things will turn for the worst, as they fired 18 000 very talented people, which other companies are willing to hire without even a serious interview (not really, as anyone can lie in the resume, but you get the idea). When you have on your resume that you works at Google, Apple, Amazon or Microsoft, it is basically a free pass. Everyone wants you. As these companies only hire the best of the best.

9. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Neither. Nearly all of those people will be leave beacause MS is closing Nokia factories in Hungary and China, and moving production to Vietnam. And of course, for these people having Microsoft on resume change nothing.

For example 10% of those 18000 are the employees of the Nokia factory in Komarom, Hungary.

10. GoodBytes

Microsoft employees not related to Nokia has been layed off as well.

11. loftie

loftie Multimodder

The gartner post was more to with the fact that xbit has written an article saying how WP8 is failing because Nokia only sold/shipped x amount of lumia units. I didn't look for any info to compare Q1, Q2 of this year, so I just compared the entirety of 2013, where compared to other mobile companies I still think lumia phones sold fairly well.

Sorry! My post was tongue in cheek, I'm 100% in agreement that having two companies would be bad. Tbh if I were to get an android it'd probably be a Sony or HTC.

I really like WP8. It does have it's issues, but as you say perception lingers. A great example of this is the app problem. AFAIK, I don't have that issue with the calendar. I have an appointment on the 28th of June and it still shows up in my agenda. This is from a Hotmail account.

Not really looked at Android L yet so will have to inquire! I don't think the mobile market or tablet (RT) market are lost quite yet. I think the tablet market is pretty close to failing. The unified app store will probably help but it needs to get it out there fast.

WP8 i think with it's action centre has put one argument to bed, microsofts ODM will help push more phones out there with a bit of luck and if the perception that WP is better at the low end than android, think 520, this will also help more people get exposure to the OS.

12. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Sure. But 12500 of 18000 are Nokia. Only the remaining 5500 are from the old MS, and most of them are probably sales or support.

13. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Still in reverse -- Windows 8.x loses market share for second consecutive month
    http://betanews.com/2014/08/01/still-in-reverse-windows-8-x-loses-market-share-for-second-consecutive-month/

14. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

15. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Current [European] availability for Lumia Devices is here

16. Nexxo

Last edited: 1 Aug 2014
  17. impar

impar Minimodder

18. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

From the article...

19. Nexxo

Basically: "Windows 8.x is declining. Well, OK, it's a tiny decline, so you could also say it's just stalled. The accuracy of the data is arguable, but it paints a clear picture". :hehe:

20. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

FTFY