1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows 8 Marmite thread... Because you either love it or hate it

Discussion in 'Software' started by TheStockBroker, 28 Feb 2012.

?

Windows 8: what is your opinion?

1. Love it: I'm already using it or planning to do so.

59 vote(s)
    41.0%
  2. Hate it: this evil spawn of Satan will never defile the sanctity of my computer.

37 vote(s)
    25.7%
  3. It's OK with a Start Menu replacement and while bypassing Metro.

48 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. DeafGamer2015

DeafGamer2015 Minimodder

that's awesome, GB! So can someone put a full list of awesome feature discoveries so we can try them out ourselves if that's not a problem?? :)

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

By "someone" you really mean me, right? :p
    Well i think I'll be continuing posting here.

Oh! Windows Experience Index, max score has been increase to 9.9!
    My laptop GPU score (the lowest one) passed from 3.5 (up from 3.1 from Vista) with Win7, is now 2.7. I don't know if it's a GPU driver optimization problem, or that the the scoring system got more strict.

Another cool thing. Do Win+Tab. Flip 3D has been replaced with a side view Alt+Tab thing. But it shows only Metro Apps, and the desktop (if open). Alt+Tab shows the application in desktop. While it might sound confusing.. I think it's smart, it simplifies when you want to switch between Metro application, and aren't submerged with a full desktop of running programs.

Win+I show the property side bar
    Win+X shows that corner shortcut to stuff menu.
    Win+C shows the Chime bar
    Win+B focuses the task bar, and select the Up arrow of the notification bar
    Win+, opens a mysterious program, and all window/prog on the desktop turn transparent.
    Win+. Makes the focused metro app, or desktop move to the right of the screen, do it again and it slides to the left, and then back to full screen.

Windows has it's own volume on screen indicator, if you didn't know already.

Annoying thing:
    Is that they seams to have remove "manage network connection", so now you can't prioritize connection or modify the configuration of one.. this made configuring the wireless for university a pain. Hopefully it will come back.

3. DeafGamer2015

DeafGamer2015 Minimodder

No, I mean is there a full list of everything that everyone has discovered? like what you just said in the last few posts in this thread...

so if someone manage to build a list that is printable.. everyone can try these stuff out and such.. like.. Ooooo that's awesome! I didn't know that exists in this! Or this exist! You know what I mean, right GB?

4. GoodBytes

I do.
    I can give it a try... but don't expect that list tomorrow, more like a week or so.

5. GoodBytes

Fun detail... you know when you move to the bottom left corner you have the icon to show you the start screen.. well that icon layout on the picture, matches what you have on the actual start screen. Pretty cool attention to detail there. Clearly the person that coded that feature had a lot of fun, to think about this. I am sure anyone else would just put a standard per-generated icon.

6. GoodBytes

7. GoodBytes

Nvidia just released Win8 32/64-bit mobile and desktop ready drivers.

8. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

9. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Went too boot up this morning, just had a blue screen with options "ease of access" and ",reboot,shutdown" was a little worried then a restart fixed that and installed the new registry updates.

10. GoodBytes

There is no blue screen to my knowledge in Win8, it's black screen of dead (BSOD). No?
    Also, I really don't understand your post. :/

11. Weekly_Estimate

Was the lock screen without the login panel basically :p

and i believe the BSOD is now like this
    [​IMG]

12. tyepye

tyepye Minimodder

Installed it on my netbook last night, but due to the screen size being 1024x600 it can't open the app store and says it might not be able to open other apps.

Does anyone know of a workaround for netbooks to trick it into thinking the screen resolution is bigger. Also does anyone know why some metro apps are limited by screen resolution?

13. short1uk

short1uk Minimodder

29 minutes renaming! Damn it!!!

Sooooo slow!

Anyone installed it on VMware player yet?

14. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

I am thinking of trying this out on a spare HD on my main desktop (I don't want to mess around with my anal file system on my SSD's).

My main query though is how does it (Metro Interface more than anything) work with multi monitors / Eyefinity - specifically ones running in Portrait mode?

Running multi monitors is an absolute must for me so this is critically important.

I can always test it out as ultimately if it doesn't work properly I can just re-boot into Win7 but it would be nice to hear thoughts from anyone who has tried already.

15. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

this worked for me. only problem is now normal text in desktop mode are harder to read. but being a cheap netbook, its TN screen is hideous and hard to read anyway.
    http://www.netbooklive.com/how-to-get-better-resolution-on-your-standard-10-inch-netbook-2772/

i installed it on VMware first, was terrible to use in windowed mode due to hot corners doesn't work. made it into full screen mode and experience became much better. loving the ultra fast transitions.

but the metro start menu doesn't belong to desktop. plain and simple. neither does the wi-fi network selector, the right pop-up menu. instead of moving no more than 300 pixels to get through start menu, i now have a 2560x1440 with massive icons that doesn't belong to the desktop and mouse.

then, i installed onto my netbook with my Live accoount, and applied above hack to get metro apps working. Metro and its apps makes a bit more sense on a netbook screen. but it is still really stupid and unintuitive to use due to ill defined right button. (sometimes it brings up bottom bar, or use it to select stuff, other times it doesn't do anything at all)

be careful, it will auto signed into Messenger if you setup with your Live account, which is really intrusive.

overall, i will be skipping Win8 for my desktop, and sticking to iOS for tablets. (win8 on ARM isn't compatible with anything, x86 have crap battery life) Metro was a mistake for desktops as start menu, it doesn't fit use of mouse at all and hard to use.

Tyinsar and tyepye like this.
  16. jakobfrimmel

jakobfrimmel What's a Dremel?

what would be the safest option to install this?? as in what configuration wouldnt put the rest of my data at risk??

17. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

The safest option would be booting it (just like you would Win7) onto a completely seperate HD.

18. Weekly_Estimate

This is so much better then the dev Preview....

Going to install windows 8 server on my other system now :p

19. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

Installed as primary system last night. Sure is going to take some getting used to - will stick it out though.

Aside from that, the one MAJOR problem is that the existing Intel chipset drivers don't work, which means no IRST, NCQ etc, which leaves me worried about my current system performance...

Evo, let me know how the server is, I'm guessing there's no metro UI there; just lots of useful enhancements!

20. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

Does origin work on Win8?