1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows 8 Marmite thread... Because you either love it or hate it

Discussion in 'Software' started by TheStockBroker, 28 Feb 2012.

?

Windows 8: what is your opinion?

1. Love it: I'm already using it or planning to do so.

59 vote(s)
    41.0%
  2. Hate it: this evil spawn of Satan will never defile the sanctity of my computer.

37 vote(s)
    25.7%
  3. It's OK with a Start Menu replacement and while bypassing Metro.

48 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

this is bloody beautiful!

anyone know how to get the start button on the desktop? :)

2. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Downloading the real deal for £14.99. Bloomin' bargain.

3. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

PS:

4. Weekly_Estimate

How do we close the open tiles? lol tried pressing exc / ctrl alt del / :p

5. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Click on top and drag all the way down.
    Right-click at the left charm app thumbnail.

6. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

You mean how to close open apps ? Grab at top and pull to bottom.

7. Weekly_Estimate

thank you!

8. faugusztin

PS: Or just press ALT+F4 :D

9. wolf5ster

wolf5ster Minimodder

Reinstalled my vista 32-bit then downloaded windows 8. Installed it now I have 32-bit windows 8 doh!!.:duh:

I never saved the file because it's in my inbox to download again and create media. So I just installed straight over vista.

When I download again and create media I presume it will give me the 64-bit option. I am now dual booting win 8 and win 7, if I can't then I'm going to reinstall over windows 7 so I can go 64-bit.

10. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Interesting results on the benchmarks by bit-tech. Its funny because even running it from a vm windows 8 seemed to be faster and smoother than the host which is vista. Perhaps it was just animation times were speeded up/modified or the fact that it was a clean install versus something 3 years old. The other thing is I don't actually use my pc for any of the media benchmarks, the gaming was up and down and frame rates are always subject to change with drivers.

I've always thought that benchmarks are a poor way of conveying what life is like with an O/S. If a file is a few seconds quicker or slower unzipping I probably wouldn't notice. There are things like performance degradation, driver support, stability, the interface snappiness and a myriad of other things unique to each user and their configuration that cannot be simply put into easily digestible metrics.

I'm reminded of a benchamark comparison of ubuntu 11.10 with windows 7 on tomshardware. They were more or less level pegging with each other with ubuntu winning out overall. However my own experience was the ubuntu interface lagged a lot, I had problems with programs needing to be end tasked, flash performance was worse, hardware compatibility wasn't great either. There was plenty of day to day stuff that meant that version of ubuntu was not right for me. All of those things could not be conveyed properly in a review or benchmarks suite.

Anyway time will tell if I made the right choice moving my main machine to windows 8.

11. rollo

rollo Modder

My biggest issue is compatability on the system i upgraded ( Duel boot still works )

Current list of none operational software

Coral x4
    adobe cs6
    sony vegas
    crysis 2 ( its patching might work after that)
    Dunguen defenders ( Refuses to launch)
    ff7 remake ( No sound and wierd screen resolution issues)

using nvidia graphics card i assume its an nvidia driver problem as all of these programs are GPU enabled.

Small SSD on this computer so not had time to run much or install alot. But im still pretty surprised at how little is working ( Installed 10 programs 4 games 6 applications. Games where Witcher 2 ,Dungun defenders, Crysis 2, ff 7 remake. ) ( Applications were Coral x4, Adobe CS6, Sony Vegas, VLC media player, Steam, VM Ware) Hoping for updates to adobe cs6 and vegas asap. I can live without coral for a few days.

6 out of 10 not to great so far. Will update in a week and let you know how it works out.

Enjoying metro ui its fun i want to test it on a touch Interface monitor and see how it goes from there.

12. mpe91

mpe91 Wait... Wha...?

Adobe cs6 software seems to be working fine for myself on Windows 8 pro x64 with nvidia drivers 306.97.

13. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

link ?

14. faugusztin

14.99 is afaik the "you can upgrade for 14.99 if you bought windows 7 computer in last few months" price.

15. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

Since I have never gone through an upgrade process. What happens to your games steam and non steam after the upgrade. Will they all still be there? Do they need to be reinstalled? Will that cause license issues with (non steam)games

16. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

Just installed Win8 upgrade on my atom based htpc, what an infuriating OS ! If anyone prefers a normal desktop I recommend :

http://www.neowin.net/news/iobit-startmenu8-10-beta

I still need to work out how to avoid metro at the start but this helps a lot by giving me a start button.

17. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/upgrade-offer

Downloaded using the upgrade assistant on my work pc, thinking I could burn disc/create usb and install on my home rig later on. My work pc has xp x86 and it downloaded the 32-bit version, doh! What a pain in the ****ing arse. Why don't they just package the two together and have it autodetect?

So, just booted my MBP up into bootcamp (win7x64) and redownloading the bugger AGAIN. Hopefully in 64-bit format this time.

Btw, on xp, at no time did it offer to create a dvd or usb install. Also, it bungs all the files in c:/esd/windows (it's hidden). It wasn't until I'd burnt the files to a dvd and ran the setup in bootcamp that it helpfully displayed the message that I needed to insert the 64-bit media.

So, be warned! Btw, redownloading using the link in the email you get when you purchase, the one that contains your cd key.

Why didn't MS go the whole hog and call the big file InstallESD.dmg? :naughty:

Last edited: 26 Oct 2012
  18. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

If anyone has a link for a windows 8 upgrade disc iso i'd very much appreciate it, I have 4-5 other computers to upgrade and downloading a copy for each computer is stupidly time consuming.

19. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

all my programs are working including crisis 2

for the person asking about upgrades, it works the same way win 7 did, will check for incompatible stuff, advise you, and all being well everything will be as before, except you will have the new ui and ie10

one thing to note, on 'some' machine, some apps might not work straight away after an upgrade, and may require a refresh of your machine, this DOES uninstall all programs that weren't downloaded from the store, and weren't part of windows, it does however keep your data and settings

20. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Well the downgrade needs to save the ISO somewhere... maybe look at the temp dir or the root of C:\ or something. I know you can burn a disk or extract it on USB key and make it bootable, from the setup wizard that your run to get Windows 8. So I don't see why that won't work (use same disk, USB on other computer is what I mean).