1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows 8 Marmite thread... Because you either love it or hate it

Discussion in 'Software' started by TheStockBroker, 28 Feb 2012.

?

Windows 8: what is your opinion?

1. Love it: I'm already using it or planning to do so.

59 vote(s)
    41.0%
  2. Hate it: this evil spawn of Satan will never defile the sanctity of my computer.

37 vote(s)
    25.7%
  3. It's OK with a Start Menu replacement and while bypassing Metro.

48 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

In that case :
    Windows 7 way : Move to bottom left corner, click, move mouse over All Programs (or whatever it is called) on bottom of the list, click, manually search in tree structure.
    Windows 8 way : Move your mouse to top right corner, move over the Search charm, then click on Search. The default search option is Apps with no search filter, that equals to list of All apps (grouped by program groups).

2. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Depends if you de-bloat Win 7 from all the unnecessary features...I only have apps/programs running when I want them to run. I only have certain things running on start-up.
    So my boot/shut down times are as fast as a fresh install.

Windows 8 runs live tiles in the background, as well as having things running in your system tray etc...

Like I said, it's my opinion, and I know I'm not alone. Wins 8 is designed for touch screen portable devices.

3. Invictus.

Invictus. Minimodder

My boot time has decreased a fair bit, longest bit now is waiting to post xD (~15-20 seconds) then the win logo pops up for around 5s tops and your done its pretty good tbh.

As for being designed for touch screens, thats correct but getting to use Win 8 more its just as easy on KB+mouse. When I first saw metro (or tiles w/e its called now) I first thought its a gimmick that was only for touch screen but it does make loading programs easier and quicker (when you dont like desktop clutter)

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

@true_gamer, you should definitely check out the early posts of this thread, or more quickly, have a look at the Windows 8 dev blog site, to see how Windows 8 works. And you'll see that the live tiles consume virtually nothing.
    Doing what you are doing is silly, you bought, form what I can see 16GB of RAM. What a 100% waste. Games and programs stops at 2 or 4GB. I highly doubt you are running several games on the back, and continuously switching to them.

You complain about bloat, yet you buy a Creative sound card. The drivers are so bloated, it ads several seconds to Windows boot procedure. How does that make sense?

Then you say that you can disable a whole lot load of stuff in Windows 7 to make it lighter (I am interested to know what they are), yet you bought the Windows 7 Ultimate edition, where you are packed with features, that you are not even using, such as bit-drive encryption.

I do not understand your logic at all.

5. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    You hadnt tried it? It does feel fast.
    Missing "most used programs", missing a global search by default, forcing to move from left to right to switch search results and choose the result, impossible to right click a file shown at a search to choose which program to open it with, forcing the user to keep a cleaned Start Screen, ...
    Not just you. But you must understand Microsoft concept here, the traditional desktop is considered an app available to manage and run the legacy programs, Start Screen and the Metro UI is the core of the new Windows, available from smartphones->tablets->laptops->desktops->servers.
    It is happening all over the net on the W8 threads, the newcomers to W8 ask valid questions about he new UI and are bombarded with... harsh answers making them look ignorant or lazy. Some exceptions of W8 evangelists being extremely polite and showing Microsft justifications for some alterations, though.
    The shutdown now triggers a kind of partial hibernation.
    Working as designed then.
    Not really W8, its more the Metro UI.

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I can't say that any of the raised objections are an issue for me. You can manually arrange your most used programs to the left of the Start Screen (I always arranged a stack of them on my Start Menu).

The idea of Tiles using resources sounds a bit like people getting upset that Windows uses so much of the available RAM. Well, what else is going to use the RAM? And what is this darn "Idle Process" that uses up so much resources all the time? :p

Windows 8 has been made as lean as possible to run smoothly on mobile devices. That's why it boots so quickly. I would imagine that the live tiles have been programmed with the same economy in mind. Windows 8 quietly suspends processes in the background as soon as resources are needed elsewhere. Once you leave the Start Screen all these tiles are suspended and use nothing at all.

7. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

You've got it wrong on certain things I do, I use 90% of my ram. I have a Ram disk which I use.
    My laptop comes with a Creative sound card built into the motherboard. The drivers on my system are not bloated, and have not caused problems with my boot times.

I also had a Creative Titanium pro sound card on my old desktop, which also didn't cause boot time problems, due to what you say 'Bloated drivers' so I don't understand why you are throwing that out at me?

If I choose to buy a product like Windows 7 Ultimate, because I got it cheaper than Home premium, then it's a no brainier. Should I have to answer that?

Just because my opinion about what I have found from my own findings makes me take a disliking to Win 8, doesn't give you the right to throw out actuations that you know nothing about.

So I'm sorry that I don't like Win 8, which again is mine and many other peoples opinion.

I'm glad you are finding it working out for you. But it's not for me.:p:D

8. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

I'm not bothered about RAM usage to be honest - I bought 8GB for a reason. General performance seems to be fine, though I'm seeing a few FPS drops in games that will most likely get patched.

New Task Manager is also much nicer. Tells me the speed my CPU is currently doing (1.6Ghz apparently, think it is having a nap), as well as all CPU/Memory/Disk IO/Network in one easy to see place.

9. rollo

rollo Modder

Can't say windows 8 is winning me over just yet, improved boot time is Irelivent never turn the pc off to begin with.

Also noticed some interesting ram usage from certain program's wonder if there's a memory leak in one or two of them.

Still having flak music support issues going around the world to fix things that just work on 7.

Finally tested win 8 on a touch monitor wow what a difference it makes when you remove the need for a mouse, pity alot of program's require further testing.

Would I recommend it to a family member not till service pack 1 same as any other operating system. Let them iron out the bugs and then I'd recommend it.

10. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    At the left, or at the center or at the right. The thing is that the user must do it her/himself, the OS has lost the ability to show the user the most used programs.
    You are wrong here.
    I may not like the forced Metro UI W8 approach but I do like the tech side of W8. Its the hibernation that makes it boot so fast. You can disable the feaure and check for yourself.
    Its a nice trick, but still a trick.
    W8 may not have SPs. Unconfimed rumour.

11. GoodBytes

I used RAM disk. I saw 0 performance increase in real world results. Why? It exactly like you load a program and left it minimize. Because that is pretty much what it does. It's loaded on RAM. Also, Windows Superfetch technology does that for you. So you are wasiting RAM twice for your most used programs.

Hmm interesting. When I unplug my X-Fi, actually my friend too, as I message him to compare to see if he had the same experience as me, the Windows 7 logo animation that startup when Windows starts doesn't even form. You have the 4 square coming, and boom desktop. If we put our Creative sound card.... you are going to wait for some time to reach the desktop.

Well if you are are freaking for a few MB loss in your RAM due to the title, I think you would buy a the lower edition even if its more expensive.

It has nothing to do with you disliking Windows 8. You could have been putting Windows Me, for I all care. That's not what I care about. If you want to run DOS or Windows Me, then good, I am all for it. I'll help you set it up in any case.

I just don't understand your logic. The live tiles is the system that consume the least resources and memory among all things, especially from all you have, and you are acting like each live tiles is like you lost 10GB of RAM and a whole CPU core for every tiles, when in fact the CPU usage is so low that it stays at 0%, even on a weak Core 2 Duo (which I have, so I know), let alone even a Tegra 3 processor.

12. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I've said my bit. I have no reason to answer to your speculations, because you don't understand how I use my Laptop, just like I don't know how you use your PC...

Also I didn't get the same problem with my sound card and boot times. So it may be on the Xtrem music cards?...I don't know, I'm speculating like you have.

If Windows 8 came with the choice of disabling Metro UI altogether, and give you a start button, then I'm all for it. But it's integrated into Explorer, so you can't just uninstall it.

I do like the UI of task manager, and a few other features, but I don't like that they are giving you a product that comes with certain features, which most home users use, to now charge you extra for it I.E Media centre. (Yes I know for a limited time that you can get it free). If this catches on, then Windows 9 will be a barebone O/S which you will have to pay for all the features that you want. A bit like the way games are going (Half finished with DLC...). This is me Speculating again...

I don't understand your logic of going for a product that has less features and cost more?

EDIT: Just to add. I use 3 SSD's and no HDD's in my laptop. So to save reading and writing to my O/S SSD and to maximize it's life, I use a RAM Disk for Caching.

Last edited by a moderator: 2 Nov 2012
  13. GoodBytes

Sorry, but no. Microsoft made a full post on it. License fees for the codecs in Media Center aren't cheap at all, and Microsoft showed that a extremely slim percentage of users of Windows 7 started Windows Media Center, let alone using it. So why make you pay for stuff you don't care about. It was removed. The 15$ that you pay (or will pay after the special) is mostly the codec license fees.

That is why I highly recommend to pay the extra few dollars more, and get a synchronous memory based SSD, which will allow you a huge amount of write, plus higher performance, and the benchmark performance reflects more real life performance. On my desktop, I do programming. When you compile something is does this MASSIVE amount of writes. A 119KB DLL files, makes the compiler write 27.8MB, and that's Release build. Debug it's even more.
    Every time I hit the build button, it write a lot. And believe me, I hit that button about 100 times per day.
    Using programs like SSD Life, reports that my SSD has well over 8 years of usage. By then I would long replace my SSD with a bigger and faster one. I have everything on my SSD, programs, downloads, picture, music, etc.. I am really using my SSD as an HDD.
    And why would it not last 8 years? It has a 5 year warranty, which again, I would already have replaced my SSD before it expires. All this because I spent the, in my case 20$ more.

And if you just happen to already have a synchirous based SSD, then believe me, all your tweaks and all that are just silly. I highly doubt you want to keep your SSD after 11 years.

14. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I'd like a tile app that lists all recently opened programs by way of icons in the tile. Perhaps with the ability to drag the programs via their icon to a seperate tile if needed. Or group apps on a single tile. That would be quite handy, although I'm not sure if it's been patented and how it could be done differently (iOS and Android have program groups that are the same, but different).

15. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

That sums it up for me. Also I find the switching between desktop and start screen a bit jarring the menu is less so(actually its simply not jarring to me). The menu appears in a smaller area than the full start screen, so I find it easier to visually parse information since I don't have to shift focus to different parts of the screen.

16. GoodBytes

You can pin the recent item folder. It's still in Windows 8.
    C:\Users\<ACCOUNT NAME>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Recent

17. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

That's pretty awesome, thanks GoodBytes.

18. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

So would it be possible for someone to write software that shows what metro apps you have running in the taskbar, or are the two sides too independent for that.

19. GoodBytes

Well, there is a way to get a list of running processes.
    So I don't see why it won't be possible. Sadly I don't have the time to do this.

20. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

I boot from cold. On Windows Vista: about 5 minutes. On Windows 8: a minute. Trust me: it has been optimised a lot.