Windows Windows 8 Marmite thread... Because you either love it or hate it

Discussion in 'Software' started by TheStockBroker, 28 Feb 2012.

?

Windows 8: what is your opinion?

1. Love it: I'm already using it or planning to do so.

59 vote(s)
    41.0%
  2. Hate it: this evil spawn of Satan will never defile the sanctity of my computer.

37 vote(s)
    25.7%
  3. It's OK with a Start Menu replacement and while bypassing Metro.

48 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Also, how do I add the steam.exe to my start screen if its installed on another hard drive?

2. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Create a shortcut. Move it to %appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start menu. This adds the shortcut to the apps list in the Start screen. Search for your shortcut in that list, pin to start screen. Done.

There are probably other ways or even tools for that, but i used the method above.

3. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I installed it to another hard drive an it showed up fine on the start screen. Anyway do a search for steam, in the results right click and select pin to start.

4. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

This is my layout on my laptop (desktop doesn't have Win8 yet.. you know school is in the way)
    Try this layout, I think it will make it much easier and better to use.

[​IMG]

Obviously, you may want to change the "Entertainment" section to "Games", and pin all your Steam games on it, so that you can start them directly, and skip Steam. That's what I would do. And of course, move the group closer to the left. My laptop isn't a gaming system, so it goes to the far right.

When you pin "Removable drive", what's cool about it, is that if you don't have the drive connected (like you USB memory key), it just gets you to the desktop.

If you wonder how to pin an item to the Start Screen, it's really simple. Just right-click to any shortcut of a game or application or folder, and select Pin to Start. That simple.

5. faugusztin

If the option is there. Not every item has that option.

6. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Had already read those.

Flash update solution:
    An option Microsoft should offer:

7. GoodBytes

Ah, special items. Which item you are trying to pin? Say it, and I'll tell how.

8. faugusztin

My "items" (batch files) were solved by my steps above. By my post i only warned that some items don't have the "Pin to Start"/"Pin to Taskbar" options, and they can be done by creating a shortcut in the Start Menu folder in the user profile.

9. GoodBytes

10. rici1241

rici1241 Minimodder

After using Windows 8 for a few days, I really like it. Its very fast, easy and different.
    I now use my computer as if it has a split personality. The desktop is reserved for my college work, and the start screen for recreation. I have all my programs on the start screen, but organised such that the groups have a clear distinction between work and play.
    I have found this way the best, as its that little bit harder to get distracted by the likes of the people and games apps.

I have only really had 1 issue worth mentioning since switching from 7, and that's the office 2010 configuration screen bug in this thread: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=248425

11. faugusztin

Actually i found the copying step separately from you (the shortcut creation was just a simple right click drag operation), and edited the guide in exactly the same moment (i was actually searching for a solution between 17:26 and 17:42) :
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?p=3198638#post3198638

How else would i come up with %appdata%\microsoft\windows\Start Menu\Programs\ instead of Shell:start menu ?

And sorry for not noticing your answer later that day, i didn't really search for an answer when i found it myself.

Taking credit ? Where ? Yesterday ? I only warned him that not everything can be pinned directly from context menu ? @27th Oct ? No offense, but as i explained above, i found the similar solution at pretty much same time as you posted your guide (which i thank you for now) after searching for it for 15 minutes.

12. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

13. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

At last we agree on something! :p I imagine that Microsoft didn't, though, because with the wrong wallpaper (too busy or colourful) it could make the Start Screen look pretty confusing indeed. Obviously it wants to have some control over making its visual appearance look clear and tidy --at least until all customers have seen it and got used to the look. I would imagine the next version will offer a bit more customisability.

But the beauty of Windows is: if you don't like something, someone out there is bound to create a hack that allows you to change it. No problem for us geeks who want that level of flexibility; the muggle doesn't care enough to need it.

14. faugusztin

Because 3-4 years and at a time Windows 9 will be released, when games using it will actually start showing up you will be still using Windows 7, a 6-7 year old OS.

15. Risky

Risky Modder

To be honest I don't mind there being a windows store for the "Metro" apps, I don't imagine I'll be paying for any fwiw. However I do mind that there isn't a bloody seach box on it so if there is an app I want I have to scroll over the bloody list.

16. faugusztin

Same as every Metro app and Start Screen - just start typing. If application supports searching, search will show up. Or open the charms bar and click on search - and guess what, Store is one of the options you can search in.

17. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

There is a search box. It's in the same position as in every 'metro' app, i.e. in the charms bar on the right.

Edit: ninja'd....

18. GoodBytes

19. rollo

rollo Modder

Very few games are even direct x 10 let alone 11 no one is going to be worried about 11.1 compatability. I'd expect direct x 12 to be win 9 only, Microsoft though has moved to fast with direct x the lack of backwards compatability from 10 to 9 has killed the uptake from major developers.

Till only early this year xp still held more than half the OS market. No developer is going to say I'm making this direct x 11 only and cut off 40-45% potential sales.

20. GoodBytes

Agreed. But I still think that Microsoft will release DX 11.1 for Win7, as perhaps a later/last Service Pack, as they do with every version of Windows, except with XP due to the architectural differences. (combine all updates released after SP1, and add new version of DirectX, and voila). And beside, what's new in DX11.1 is mostly related to CAD stuff, and not useful for gaming. So we won't miss a thing.

To add, even DirectX 11 games... what are they? World Of WarCraft? come on! The Witcher 2 looks a billion times better, and its in DirectX 9. So honestly, I am not even concerned. Even Crysis 3, will not used DX11.1.