1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Windows 8 screenshots hit the Web

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 13 Apr 2011.

1. Saivert

Saivert New Member

Ribbon is a love it hate it thing. Personally I like it and I really hated the old ass pull down menus in the past that contained a gazillion menu items scattered across may submenus. Not very easy in my eyes.

Even latest Ubuntu Linux has dropped menus within apps now and uses a unified menubar just like Mac and Amiga has always had.

2. billysielu

billysielu Member

A lot of companies I work with use XP+IE6 still, it's a real pita. They don't upgrade because they use a lot of software which would become incompatible. Thus there's a mountain of testing to get through, they don't see it being worthwhile.

3. Instagib

Instagib Well-Known Member

As long as there's no directX 12 features, i don't think i'll be needing this. Win 7 is brilliant, no reason to change.

4. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

How does Angry Birds get everywhere?!

5. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

The major reason that alot of people hate the ribbon design, especially in excel, is because it is a paradigm shift from what they are used to. I would imagine that alot of these people have become very profficient with the old style menus and find the ribbon slows them down or makes them less effcient in their work.

I am relatively ambivilant towards the Ribbon design but I do feel that it was added to for change sake rather than for any real productivity improvement. As I said above it can work quite well (when customised) but then so can the old style 1995-2003 GUI.

I can understand the shift to the Ribbon interface as it does tie in better with the overall look and feel of Vista / 7 but I do wish they left in an option to switch back to the old style of menus for those who want Excels new features (extra row and column support) but don't want the new interface.

6. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

the normal release schedule for an OS is 2 years, Vista was a ground up build thus why it took a long time to develop but now that the foundation is made they can go back to their two year rotation like before.

Anyhow I heard 8 will have more motion interaction with built in gestures and so forth thus why they were throwing a fit about people hacking the kenect and using it on Windows 7 as that would reduce the appeal to go to Windows 8.

7. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

i really hope that ribbon element is collapsible, otherwise they will be making a very poor ui choice as it takes up way too much space. if it replaces the menu functions you currently get by pressing alt, then it will be fine.
    i'm also not interested in all of this cloud business. i just don't trust a 3rd party having my data somewhere. i'm also leery about the app store, as i'm afraid of the potential of windows going to a walled platform like ios if they think they can get away with it. that would be very bad.

8. weasel9878

weasel9878 New Member

DirectX 12 :D

9. Sankia

Sankia New Member

The ribbon interface, I'm really not sure. However I think it will be one of those things that slowly grow on you until you wouldn't be parted lol!

10. Floyd

Floyd Wire Twister

Im sticking with good ol' W7

11. Plugs

Plugs Active Member

The ribbon interface... really?
    There is nothing wrong with menu bars... or right clicking

12. Bazz

Bazz Bit of everything geek

LOL like they are really gonna release it tomorrow.

13. Boswell

Boswell Active Member

From Reddit:

14. jrs77

jrs77 Well-Known Member

It's not about hate or against progression, it's simply not a good design imho.

Keyboard-shortcuts and right-click-menus are simply way more productive, as you don't need to move around your pointer as much.
    Instead of adding the ribbon-interface to the UI on the screen, I'd rather have a keyboard with a little touchscreen attached to it, that changes it's UI depending on what software you use currently.

I'm using an Ergodex DX-1 for example in addition to my normal keyboard, where I've mapped most of the shortcuts needed in Adobe CS.

For touchscreens this ribbon-thingy might be a good thing tho, but only if it comes as a top-down-slider not taking any screen-space all the time and it has to be highly customizable to make it into a replacement for right-click-menus or keyboard-shortcuts.

Anyways, for a desktop/workstation there's better ways for improvement in productivity using customizable input-devices.

15. pimlicosound

pimlicosound New Member

That's exactly how the ribbon in Office 2007 works. You can double-click on it to expand/collapse. You can also map your favourite functions to a quick access toolbar in a window's title bar. And most of the old keyboard shortcuts still work.

16. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

17. cgthomas

cgthomas Cpt. Handsome

That's quite cool. If it will be Windows 7 + ribbons then I will skip Win 7 and upgrade from Vista to Win 8.
    The only reason keeping me from upgrading at the moment is the price of 200+ GB SSD. I guess they will be a bit cheaper and performing better when Win 8 comes out

18. FuzzyOne

FuzzyOne

^ This tbh :eyebrow:

19. Gould

Gould New Member

Happy enough with W7. Not bothered about the cloud but instant on would be nice. Either way I hope I can get it off MSDN.

20. Chicken76

Chicken76 Active Member

Oh, Microsoft, please make The Ribbon non-closable/hideble in the final release, and make it as annoying as possible. Maybe this way we'll see more innovation and diversity in the alternative-windows-shell field.

Tags: Add Tags