1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows 8 upgrade question

Discussion in 'Software' started by Ayrto, 26 Jan 2013.

1. Ayrto

Ayrto What's a Dremel?

On Windows 8 Pro upgrade....

*You can also use the product key and downloaded files on a different PC than the one on which you downloaded it.*

Ok , my question is about the other qualifying PC : When you install W8 for the first time can you do a clean install off the bat, since it's a different qualifying OS?

Last edited: 26 Jan 2013
  2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

You can do a clean install.

3. Ayrto

Ayrto What's a Dremel?

OK. Thanks.

Wasn't going to get it , but then I read that certain DirectX 11.1 features could remain Windows 8 exclusive. Plus the boot up /close down times seem to be faster than W7's.

4. GoodBytes

There is more than that.
    -> Unlimited Music streaming of 30 million song (first 6 month of your Microsoft/live/hotmail/outlook account. . then it's 10h per month. So yes, you can make a new account log-in and get unlimited again). Or for 10$ a month (8 pounds UK), it's unlimited all the time, no ads show in the Music player, and unlimited downloads. Also if you get the subscription service you can use the Zune software, which give you access to the store so you don't need to use the metro app. You also have 30 days trial on this, if you want to give it a spin.

-> New cool task manager

-> Storage Space, check it out. If you have a lot of stuff on HDD's, this is great

-> Somehow manage to make Windows even more optimized and responsive. (nice performance boost in game with old hardware, not very visible on new hardware. For me it was huge. I have a GTX 260)

-> New Start Screen. I like it a lot. I prefer it much better than the start menu. The default layout sucks, but once you pin your folders, make your groups, pin your games, it becomes really cool. What I like about it, is how it doesn't automatically adds crap that pretty much every software insist on dumping your start menu, like Readme files, and uninstaller, help, link to web sites, etc. And you have more space for more programs... much more space.
    Here is mine for inspiration: http://www.helpweaver.com/dss.png

As you can see I use Metro apps, as more as gadget than actually using them.

-> File History feature (go back in time on a file, folder and drive).

-> New file transfer with detail view, and ability to pause/resume, to allow other transfer to continue faster, or because you want to game or something.

-> New file collision system where it mugs you replace or not files, and doesn't prompt you in the middle of the transfer about it. It regroups everything until the end, and puts everything into 1 panel that will show.

-> Auto switch from Wireless to Wired, as you plug a wired Ethernet in.

and more...

For 40$ (25 pounds) it's hard to say no.

REMEMBER to get Windows Media Center key, to be able to play DVD movies! It's free until Jan 31st. After that it's 15$ add-on.

5. Ayrto

Ayrto What's a Dremel?

Yep. At £25 it's worth getting if only to use later. DX11.1 might not matter now. But, if as widely tipped , next gen consoles do arrive in 2013, there could finally be a flood of DX11 native PC games.

6. KeTZz

KeTZz Minimodder

Well i've just done this on my sons pc downloaded it to a usb on my pc then took it up and did a clean install on his new ssd and guess what you have to have a os already installed cos its a upgrade key not a full os :( But there is a registery edit around this which i found and is easy to do and works other wise i would have had to install vista on his ssd then install win8 :jawdrop:

7. GoodBytes

Ah ok you did this. Yea if you format the HDD/SSD then Windows setup can't find the old one. You have to install it on the old Windows, where the setup will move the current Windows to a folder called "Windows.OLD", and the install itself clean. So the registry key switch you did, was the flag that the setup set to say that a previous version of Windows was detected. Sorry for not making this clear. This is the same process as for Windows 7 Upgrade.

8. KeTZz

KeTZz Minimodder

Cool when i posted on here no one said that lol so i throught i was going to have to re do it all over :blush: so your saying when you install over the os already installed it gives you the option to install on a diffrent drive ? have i got that right ?

9. KeTZz

KeTZz Minimodder

And also can i transfer it to another pc at a later date ?

10. GoodBytes

No. You click on Custom install (to do a clean install), then on the section where it asks you where you want to install Windows 8, you pick the drive that has the old Windows on. The setup will detect it, then move everything you have on that drive into a folder call "Windows.OLD", ready to be deleted by you once Windows is installed, and the it installs Windows clean.

If it's a new HDD/SSD or want to format it, just do the registry trick like you did and your good.

Yes you can transfer your Windows 8 license to another computer. A phone activation might be required, but it will work perfectly.

11. KeTZz

KeTZz Minimodder

Sorry for all the questions and im not sure if this belongs in the hardware bit but now in my sons bios his first boot device is windows boot manager not his ssd is this right ? lol it all seams to be working fine when i left just not to good with software thats all lol :(

12. KeTZz

KeTZz Minimodder

Thanks for quick reply its just im thinking of getting it for my girlfriends laptop but its on its way out but its always handy to have a os lieing around :)

13. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Yes, that is right. Seeing Windows Boot Manager as a boot option is one of the new features thanks to change from BIOS to UEFI.