1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows windows 8

Discussion in 'Software' started by LT.BEECH, 16 Nov 2012.

1. LT.BEECH

LT.BEECH Minimodder

Hi their i was just wondering wether or not their is a way of installing windows 8 upgrade fresh, or would i need some kind of windows on my pc?

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

It's an upgrade, so you need a previous version.

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

You need a previous version of Windows. If you wonder if you have the Upgrade edition how to clean install, it depends if you got the download version, or the disk. But I believe it can be done for both. If you got the disk apparently the Win7 trick works, however if you got the download, you need to enter the product key and prepare the disk or USB from a current genuine Windows. Then from there you should be able to boot from it, and use it to do a clean install using Win7 upgrade method.

I can't say for sure, as my license that I got so far for my laptop is form MSDNAA, and I don't have time to experiment due to university.

Last edited: 16 Nov 2012
  4. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

I have the upgrade disk version which is worded as upgrade / retail I booted from the disk and did a custom install on a clean HDD there was NO option not to enter the code but once installed it activated automatically fine and needed no hacks of any kind

5. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

I have the $40/€30 upgrade version of Pro and it can do a clean install without W7 being involved at all.

6. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I have an interesting question for you guys.
    As now Steven Sinofsky got fired at Microsoft. Do you think that, in the next Service Pack of Windows 8, Microsoft will decide to have an option to put back the Start Menu? If so, do you think it will be limited to the Enterprise edition, or all editions? And for those who are using Windows 8 since a while, do you think it is a wise move, and do you support this fictional idea?

7. Nexxo

Nope, because I don't think the Start Screen was his idea to begin with. I suspect he is more an ol'fashioned Start Menu guy. The Start Screen is Metro (or Modern, or whatever; Microsoft's coyness about renaming Metro is deliberate; it doesn't want you to think of a particular style. It just wants you to recognise it as Microsoft), which is part of an attempt to unify the look and feel of all Microsoft OSs across all platforms. And this is where it is all going.

The Start Screen is also Metro Apps, which is the future of software distribution as far as Apple, Google, Microsoft and anybody who is somebody in the digital world is concerned.

Which is why I think the Start Menu ain't never coming back.

8. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

and nor should it

9. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Of course it should, it should be an option..it shouldn't be forced upon you. You should be able to select which you would like to use. I will be paying the $5 for start8.

10. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

it's not, you have the option to buy or use an alternate operating system, or as you are going to do, buy an add on that brings the feature you want.

11. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Why ? There are tons of free options, so why ?

12. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

Isn't start8 the best one to use?

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

13. freshsandwiches

freshsandwiches Can I do science to it?

I've just seen hell. It's all ******s with gadgets not able to think for themselves!

14. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    - Not really sure if Sinofsky was the only one to blame on the decision to release W8 with StartScreen only.
    - Reports suggest that the days of SPs at Microsoft have ended.
    - The ability to choose StartMenu should have been an option from day one.
    - That option should be made available to all W8 editions.
    - It is an essential move. W8 has been released less than a month and I had already to work with the default StartScreen, Start8, ClassicShell and ViStart (with and without Charms enabled). All consistency of Windows UI is being lost.

Also, on the subject of making Metro UI more popular, Microsoft and manufacturers really need to start making affordable tablets and phones with Metro UI. The current prices are just too high to compete with Android devices.

15. Nexxo

Cheaper devices will come. It took a few years for cheap Android devices to hit the market.

16. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Because a good product will have the sensible options out of the box, instead of making you run off to look for a third party solution. Whereas someone at Microsoft decided to go out of their way to stop you from using a feature that was all there in a preview build.

17. Nexxo

Hmmm... Use Firefox much? Or Chrome? What about any other piece of software you have installed that is not Microsoft? But those are third-party solutions! That shouldn't be necessary! :p

18. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Start8 is fabulous. It's made Window8 usable for me. No matter how many times I tried, I just hated Metro.. it looks like hell and I didn't like it. I now have Window 8 that boots straight to my desktop, and a proper start menu. I can now work as I want to work and not how MS want me to work.

Sorted.

David likes this.
  19. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Ehm... What i meant was why pay $5 for Start8, when there are other free alternatives - Vistart, Classic Shell and i guess there is much more of them.

20. modd1uk

modd1uk Multimodder

$5 is like £3 ish, I bought it and i'm more than happy with it, would happily buy it again and probably will if my dad doesn't like metro when I install his new SSD/win8 at christmas.