1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Windows and partition sizing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bawjaws, 16 Feb 2017.

1. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Hello all,

I'm probably going to be installing Windows on a new SSD in the not-too-distant future. I've not yet decided as to whether that'll be Win 7 or 10. In the past I've partitioned my first volume into an OS (and programs) partition and other partitions for games, data or whatever. I've always done this because if I need to reinstall Windows then it's not such a pain in the arse to backup the other partitions first - this is because I've always favoured the "take off and nuke it from orbit (it's the only way to be sure!)" approach to reinstalling an OS :D My current Win 7 partition is 80GB and it's probably about 80% full.

I was interested to see whether you guys typically bother setting up separate partitions for the OS and for other bits and bobs, or if your boot volumes are just one big partition. If you do partition, how much space do you allocate for Windows, and how does Win 10 compare to 7 in terms of space requirements?

So, don't be shy, how do you lot partition your OS drives (if at all)? :D

2. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

I'm lazy, very lazy.

Windows + applications & Games that really benefit from it go on the 250gb x2 SSD array, everything else goes onto the WD Reds 3TB 2x Array, because I can just go "Bugger it" and nuke the SSDs from orbit come reinstall time.

It is all Raid0, however, so I'm one disk failure away from a complete nightmare... I should fix that.

3. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I generally buy a 256GB SSD for the OS and make available around 200GB leaving the rest for over provisioning.

4. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

256GB SSD (samsung EVO 850) as OS + programs
    256GB SSD (samsung EVO 850) as games (new installs)
    1TB HDD (WD Black) for temp/data work and games (old installs)

No partitions, just use separate disks.

5. johnim40

johnim40 Minimodder

I use a 250gb ssd for system and apps 250gb ssd for most played games and 1 or 2 tb mech drive for older less used games

Like madginga

6. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

I'm running a 256GB NVMe drive for Windows and programs, and games run on the 2x 850 EVO array. I've got all of my downloaded games from Steam backed up to the 1TB drive, so if something were to go wrong, it is just a quick copy across and it's back up and running.

7. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I stopped bothering to partition disks when disk space got cheap.

128GB SSD for Windows & critical applications (Visual Studio, SQL Server Management Studio, etc)
    256GB SSD for games I'm currently playing
    1TB HDD for all other games & general storage