1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Windows Blue ISO leaks ahead of launch

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 25 Mar 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Yay! Now I can use the reader app from metro instead of adobe acrobat. (Genuinely pleased, acrobat sucks).

3. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Sounds promising.

4. Marvin-HHGTTG

Marvin-HHGTTG CTRL + SHIFT + ESC

Could try one of the alternative PDF readers - I use Sumatra PDF personally.

5. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

"The biggest change to the tile-based user interface previously known as Metro, however, comes in the form of rudimentary multi-tasking: rather than taking over the entire display, apps running in the Modern UI are now able to run side-by-side with each taking up half of the screen space. That might seem like a pretty basic feature to be headlining in an operating system due for release in 2013, but it marks a clear admission from Microsoft that perhaps the Modern UI is a little too streamlined for everyone's taste."

Im pretty sure youve always been able to do that. The new feature is that they can run in 50/50 mode not just in thirds.

6. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Oh, issat so? I'll go and correct that, ta: I was of the impression you couldn't. (I've played with Windows 8 in a VM, but haven't spent much time in the Modern interface.)

7. Xir

Xir Modder

A major issue that, I believe it was a "Fight Club" quote "can I have the Icon in Blue?" Ah, yes, the stress of beeing a manager

8. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

It all seems pretty basic TBH, was it just me that was expecting more from blu ?

9. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

To me it feels a lot more polished, and starting to bear some hallmarks of their "Vision of the Future" interfaces that they have been playing with.

10. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

You can't say something like that and not tell us how!

11. Nexxo

Simples. Upper right corner, grab a task, drag it to the left or right border of the screen and the divider appears. Drop to the side of the divider.

EDIT: actually there are a few interesting tricks in Windows 8/RT that aren't mentioned but I've stumbled over:

- If you pinch-zoom in desktop Explorer windows, the icons resize.
    - When you drag the Metro volume up and down, you don't have to keep your finger on the bar, you can move away from it. Metro then draws a line from your finger tip to the slider it controls at that moment.
    - Under the Devices charm, under the printer icon name it will tell you if ink is low or printer needs attention.

Last edited: 25 Mar 2013
  12. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

What Nexxo said...

However as I mentioned, it limited to a 1 third/2 third split at the moment which is annoying as 50/50 would be far better and more useful.

I still probably won't use metro apps, and 50/50 snap has been on the desktop for ages.

13. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

Cornflower blue, to be precise :)

14. Xir

Xir Modder

Ahhh! I saw it in German, and couldn't find the exact quote yesterday Thx!

15. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I don't mean to bash 8, but i just cant hold back anymore :duh:

I just find it amazing that people are getting excited about features that have been available for a very long time before the full screen start menu.

Accent colours available in the personalisation options has been boosted, versus 16.5 million in older OS's.

Changing the size of the start screen icons, we have been able to do that for ages until 8 restricted it.

Being able to run applications with a 50/50 split, hell in previous OS's we could arrange applications in any damn way we liked :wallbash:

16. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Ever imagined the amount of positive reactions to full resizable metro apps when that appears? :hehe:

17. fdbh96

fdbh96 What's a Dremel?

Note that Im not saying that win8 is perfect its just that microsoft would probably justify with the following suggestions:

1. Youve never been able to do this (easily/well) with a tablet on windows before.

2. The start screen is not the desktop (ie the icons) its meant to replace the rather cumbersome start menu with all the clicks and so on.

18. rayson

rayson Damn sure it was legal

there is still an insane amount of dead space which i think is being wasted. on the start menu

19. Nexxo

Well, that's not entirely true, is it? The original Start Menu icons could be toggled between small and large; that's it. And you can still arrange desktop applications any way you want.

Yeah. Although it will be exactly what you want, you'll complain that it is too late. :hehe:

20. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Apps running inside resizable windows... what an improvement!