1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Windows Blue to tweak mouse-based interaction

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 13 May 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

As someone who teaches Computers for the Terrified type courses, I actually don't mind the Start Page. For new computer users, the Start Menu can be quite overwhelming and can be difficult to navigate, especially if you don't really have that much mouse control (try navigating through the Start Menu with your left hand if you don't know what I mean). The Start Screen is much more new-user friendly as it's less cluttered, less foreboding and easier to arrange.

So I'm not surprised that the Start Screen is staying - I am glad that the Start button is returning, as it makes it quite difficult when explaining to people who are new to computers and new to Windows 8 - they like to see what they're clicking on, not just clicking on a (to them) random part of the screen.

From a personal, geeky point of view, I'm more interested in what the kernel changes are, and why they've made it a point release in such a short amount of time.

3. damien c

damien c Mad FPS Gamer

I have both Windows 7 and Windows 8 and I have tried Windows 8 several times and I don't like it, mainly due to the in my oppinion stupid interface and other bits but also because stuff that works on Windows 7 like some games, just don't work on Windows 8 but other people playing the same games run it under Windows 8 with no problems.

If like some people are saying that Windows 8.1 or Windows Blue will be free for those of us who bought Windows 8, then I will try it and see as I don't see the point in saying something is bad without atleast trying it first for a while.

The thing I did like about Windows 8 was mainly that it was slightly faster than Windows 7 but that was mainly it.

4. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

I'll be sticking with the start screen. I've got this massive widescreen monitor, why would I want the primary menu to only use a little column at the far left rather than the whole thing? All 'tiles' are are icons with coloured backgrounds. Turn them down to a more comfortable size, and you have something a lot more space-efficient than the start menu.

Of course, the way any sane person will be launching almost everything hasn't changed from Vista to 7 to 8: press the start key on your keyboard, type the first 2 or 3 characters of the program name, then press enter.

5. TickleOnTheTum

TickleOnTheTum What's a Dremel?

Oh dear, it sounds like Microsoft isn't listening properly still...

We don't want a Start Button that just leads to the Start Screen... we want the Start Menu back... that is what most people mean when they say they want the Start Button back!!!

It's the whole Start Screen paradigm that is annoying Desktop Users not just the absence of a single button to get to it!

Come on MS, really LISTEN!! Give us a choice, that way everyone is happy, and you make lots of money!

@edzieba: We do it by clicking on the Start Button then selecting what we want from the menus, for us that is a lot quicker than pressing loads of keys to find something. One finger typists probably make up the bulk of windows users and for them a mouse is easier to use. Our Start Menu has been tweaked over the years (since 1995) until it is now perfect for us.

6. rayson

rayson Damn sure it was legal

when the new start screen came i was like 'yay change','now lets see what the computer manufacturers come up with to deal with the new interface'. leap motion comes up with a new device, which is good but no one uses it. . and that is it and Microsoft releases no new actual new way to interact with the computer.

ME ANGRY (hulk)

7. rayson

rayson Damn sure it was legal

not bothered about the start menu only use it to shutdown the computer. and search which i actually prefer in windows 8.

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Technically, Microsoft has released a new way to interact with the computer: touch-screens. Okay, that's stretching the definition of 'new,' but it's very telling that Microsoft only produces PC hardware with touch screen interfaces. There isn't a single non-touch-screen Surface on the market - giving you a clear indication of how Microsoft wants people to interact with the Modern UI.

Now, as to whether that's Microsoft cleverly pushing forward the paradigm of human-computer interaction in a way that will make sense in years to come or Microsoft panicking in the wake of the booming tablet market and rival Apple's massive cashpile and screaming 'TABLET ALL THE THINGS' is a question I'll leave to the fanboys and future historians.

9. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Well i do like the start button with its menu's. Now I have to manually hold Windows key + i and then I can select restart/shutdown with the mouse if I want to reboot the pc. It is impossible to navigate to this with the mouse alone.

10. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Move cursor to right hand of screen. Click the settings button (the gear). Click the power button. Select shutdown or Restart.

This is opposed to the current situation (up to Win 7):
    Move cursor to the bottom-left of the screen. Click the start button. Click the power menu option. Select Shutdown or Restart.

11. law99

law99 Custom User Title

Seems to me like for Desktop use having all three input types would be positive. Not necessary, but a welcome addition to the family.

I don't think they'll do away with the Keyboard proper for a while yet. Still the quickest way about any computer. And the mouse makes consuming data easier than touch for some, whilst the reverse is true for others. Remaining uses, like Gaming, then you are going to want every option for interacting possible I think.

Productivity wise, as long as you get somewhere quickly and you can see what you are doing, I can't see why any way round would bother me particularly.

Anyway, I'm guessing the incremental upgrade 8.1 maybe the jump I make next. I feel I've missed the boat on 8 and have no interest in changing just yet.

12. stuartwood89

stuartwood89 Please... Just call me Stu.

Actually, that's what YOU want. Microsoft aren't about to waste time changing things for those who simply don't hold the capacity to click on a square.

Allowing people to switch between two interfaces on one OS? That's nuts. Whilst I agree that the lack of Start Button can be a bit confusing for the computer illiterate, for most of us who have been using Windows for a number of years, it's not that big of a deal. I don't even look for the Start Button in Windows 7. I just throw my mouse into the bottom corner of the screen and click. It's exactly the same in Windows 8. It only gets annoying in windowed Remote Desktop sessions or direct console views in VMWare/Hyper-V.

13. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Not as nuts as you might think; it's a pretty old idea in the Linux world. I remember a choice of window & desktop managers right back in the mists of time (somewhere around 1997/1998) when I first tried SuSE 4.somethingorother.

14. loftie

loftie Multimodder

AFAIK, in W7, if you want shutdown all you do is

Click Start -> Shutdown.

Only if I want to restart do i need to hit the arrow to select that. Regardless, it's not difficult or time consuming on W8

15. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I don't know what you guys are quibbling about: my ability to close the lid of my laptop or reach for the power button hasn't changed at all :p

16. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

@loftie, you are semi correct, it depends how the power options are set on individual machines, some are set to hibernate or sleep.

17. loftie

loftie Multimodder

We'll give you a few beers first and retest :p

Very true. I honestly don't recall having to change it on my machine after the last time I reinstalled windows from scratch, and I know all our laptops had shutdown as a default setting.

18. LordPyrinc

LordPyrinc Legomaniac

TBH, I rarely use the start menu now in Windows 7. I run most apps from desktop icons. I only reboot when required for windows updates so boot times really don't mean much to me. Otherwise, my machine goes to sleep. Since I don't have a touch screen, I really don't see the point in migrating from Windows 7 to Windows 8 (or Blue) anytime soon.

19. SchizoFrog

SchizoFrog What's a Dremel?

This discussion is going to go on for ever...
    The way I see it, Microsoft had no option but to take an aggressive stance on the introduction of the Metro UI. If it had merely been an option then most users would have just opted not to use it and their efforts to move forward and adapt to the future of touch screen devices would have been hindered and drawn out. Doing it this way forced those buying new computers to try it and many have either found it beneficial or at least not as daunting nor irritating as they first thought meaning that when they release Windows Blue many of these users just won't bother going back. However, bringing these features out with the release of Blue means that the hardcore fans who absolutely would not upgrade now have what they want.
    Microsoft is the winner in the long run. Users who would never have tried Metro before have now and found it useful while those who wish not to use will be able to.

20. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I promised my self i wasn't going to get involved in another windows 8 discussion after last time but i guess im weak willed :sigh:
    Not really, you either love it or hate it...those that love it will staunchly defend 8, those that hate it just give up after a while content with there opinion on it.

Don't you have to ask though why people would have opted not to use it ?

Either that or they just decided not to buy a new computer.

Or 8 is now so tainted no matter how much change 8.1 brings people will just shun 8/8.1 and wait for 9 in a similar way they did with Vista even after SP1/SP2