1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Windows - Can't run/copy .exe files!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Paolo, 24 May 2006.

1. Paolo

Paolo What's a Dremel?

Hey all,

Got a real strange one for anyone that has experience in this field. The problem is this: from my main XP Pro machine I have several folders shared (mainly patches/dev apps/drivers etc) and the network is running through a linksys router.

My problem is, from any other machine on the network, I can copy and run .exe files as I like (even on my main machine), but from my main PC to any other pc on the network (4 of), no one can get near the .exe files because of the classic "permissions or disk full" error.

I've tried the usual share/unshare trick and every other file type works. There are no obscure user profiles set up and I've got "allow users to modify settings" checked in the folder I'm sharing. As an aside, the exe files don't have their usual icons, just the generic "window" icon that you'd see on older apps.

Ideas?

Cheers,
    Paolo

2. Pygo

Pygo Rick Relixed

A virus perhaps? are you running Windows server anywhere in the network? Have you mucked in the registry with anything to do with permisions or active directory?

Tags: