1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows fails to boot

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by bluespider42, 16 Dec 2012.

1. bluespider42

bluespider42 Minimodder

I am about to go home for Christmas and my brother's computer (which I built) now fails to boot. with the message:

'Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:
    1. Insert you windows installation disc and restart your computer.
    2. Choose you language settings, and then click "Next."
    3. Click "Repair your computer."
    If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.
    File: \EFI\Microsoft\Boot\BCD
    Info: An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data.'

Apart from doing an OS repair or reinstall is there anything else I should be aware of with regards as to what might have caused the fault in the first place?

2. tuk

tuk Don't Tase Me, Bro!

sounds like the boot files have been corrupted, which can happen when messing with partitions etc ...windows repair has an option to find & fix boot issues

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Yup. Boot from Windows disk, and click on Repair. In there you have have an option to repair Windows starting up. If that doesn't work, you can take his system back in time before the problem. I think its called "System restore" (sorry i am going by memory, but you ave a description for each item). Its one of the options that you can pick in Windows repair section.

4. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

Also might be an idea to check the bios hasn't changed - make sure the sata portscarecset to what you originally set (hopefully you set them to ahci or raid not ide)

5. Edwards

Edwards Minimodder

Did he unplug a secondary hard drive? It may be that the mbr was located on it (if it's a bigger capacity than the primary drive) and that is causing the problem. I've had it happen to me in the past, so install windows with all other drives unplugged now.

6. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums

Boot with recovery disc and go to command prompt.
    Go to boot drive and type:

sfc /scannow

Sent on my CM10 JB powered i9100 by TapaTalk 2