1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows Genuine Advantage Tool Problems

Discussion in 'Software' started by Arthur2Sheds, 22 May 2006.

1. Arthur2Sheds

Arthur2Sheds Jackson

First off, I am talking about a legitimate installation of Windows XP Home, so let's not let this thread start touching on warez, like the last one did.

With that out of the way, here's the scenario:

My folks bought a Dell a couple of months ago. It arrived factory sealed and with all the appropriate documentation, etc., including the usual Dell re-installation disk for XP. They have the hologram-type sticker on their case, as they should.

Upon installing the Windows Genuine Advantage Tool with their automatic updates last week, their copy got tagged by Microsoft as being a pooched version. The help links only said that my folks could buy a new copy or talk to the manufacturer, which my dad did.

Dell told my dad to use the System Restore to go back to a restore point prior to the update. Of course, this temporarily fixes the problem until the next update. When my dad questioned her further, the Dell rep said this was a common spyware problem. My dad, not knowing any better, got off the phone satisfied.

So my question is, should I call Dell back and get forceful, or should I contact Microsoft directly regarding this? Whose responsibility is it to get the OS working as it should, legitimately?

Microsoft does say on its site that if my folks sent in the disk, the original receipt, some blood samples and their first born, they'll send back a legit copy. Seems like a pain in the arse when they're not doing anything wrong to me!

2. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

I'll head over with an Ubuntu CD today. Your Product Key will be "1" (we're all sharing the same license)

On a more serious note, I would first call Dell, tell them what Microsoft is requesting, and ask what they think you sould do. If they tell you to do what Microsoft says (which is what they should say), then play around with the idea of sending it back and purchasing a PC from a different company.

Then, in the end just send in the stuff to Microsoft, and at some point find a way to provide feedback, letting them know this is foolish, and you don't appreciate being treated like a criminal. Also mention you will be dual booting linux, or looking into a new Macintosh.

Not that you really would buy something other than dell, or purchase a macintosh, but at least let the companies know this is severely annoying. The thought of loosing customers is probably the only thing that will get results, and with their size, a lot of people are going to have to do this.

3. quack

quack Minimodder

Well since it's an OEM installation, it's probably Dell's problem to sort out.

4. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

It certainly sounds like Dell are responsible, but it does strike me that either Dell should be getting thousands of calls on this and ought to have a better official answer, or it is something odd-ball about your folks' install. A quick google fails to show any recent and widespread uproar in the newsgroups, etc, so I suspect the latter.

I'd talk to Dell, but avoid getting "forceful" until they've explained to (and satisfied) you with what they told Dad. Also re-run the check (eg, attempt to download MS Calculator Plus) using IE and get a print-out of any error messages before talking to Dell.

5. Arthur2Sheds

Arthur2Sheds Jackson

I agree, and could find nothing myself - hence the post.

When you say something odd-ball, what should I be looking for?

And since the key number is on the side of the case, is there somewhere I can re-enter the number and see if it's accepted?

I'll try your other suggestions, and thanks for all the comments.

6. Arthur2Sheds

Arthur2Sheds Jackson

Okay, here's the rest of the story.

Turns out my dad bought the computer off Ebay as a refurbished machine. It arrived factory sealed, etc., as stated above. My dad called Dell and had the service tag number and corresponding warranty transferred into his name with no problem.

He also bought another computer from the same Ebay seller; same scenario as the other one. This one passed the WGA Tool scan.

So since he has the receipt, the disk, etc., there's nothing for it but to send it all in to Microsoft. He'll have to wait 4 to 6 weeks for a new disk and has to reinstall the OS. Quite a bother, really.

I understand and support Microsoft's stance on the piracy of their products. I still one beef, though. According to their FAQ's on the subject, users who pay for a legit version receive a utility application allowing them to simply enter a new serial number. Users who get the complimentary legit version with the methods above don't receive the utility and have to reinstall the OS. If you're going legit and you can prove you didn't do anything knowingly wrong, why can't you have the utility? No sweat off their backs!

7. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

My solution - untick the checkbox for WGA Validation Tool in WU by doing a custom install :)

8. Arthur2Sheds

Arthur2Sheds Jackson

Yes, but then you can only do critical security updates after that - no product updates. And there's still the issue of why it even happened in the first place when they were legit as far as they knew.

A further update: After performing the steps mentioned by the Dell rep, XP downloaded and installed all the updates again, including the WGA Tool. The crazy part - it passed this time!

Go figure, huh?

Thanks for the help, guys!

9. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Meh, critical-only stuff has been working perfectly well with my system for months. Tends to cause less problems, actually

TBH, you can't expect anything from Microsoft to behave as expected, so "go figure" indeed - there's probably a good bit of dumb luck involved. I've had legit stuff break and not-so-legit stuff work perfectly.

10. xkids

xkids What's a Dremel?

I'm havng the same problem with Windows GE Tool

Two nights ago my computer tried installing an update as I was logging off. I let it run through the process for about 30 minutes and it looked like it had entered an endless loop so I shut it off. When I restarted it, I got the message that my Windows OS wasn't genuine. This is a laptop I purchased from Dell 3 years ago. It came factory sealed with XP professional. I'm assuming Dell doesn't sell pirated software. Another forum mentioned an issue with the Nvidia driver causing the problem. http://channel9.msdn.com/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=170650 It's good to know that others are having the problem, though I'm surprised more people aren't up in arms about it. Meanwhile, I'm going to do a system restore and let it try to reinstall the update and see what happens.

11. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

This is actually a common problem with OEM versions of Windows XP (including the ones supplied to Dell). It happily appears to accept your registration key and claims to have activated, but then continues to nag you for activation as though it had not been activated. After 30 days it locks you out.

For some reason a large number of OS's were supplied with licence keys that Microsoft subsequently discarded, presumably because these keys had leaked into the warez domain by people copying or selling on the registration key labels that come on OEM machines. Microsoft has now changed the rules and requires people to activate their OEM copies over the phone. Additional info here.

Personally, I do not consider a software verification program a vital upgrade.

12. Glider

Glider /dev/null

But then again you aren't losing millions because of warez ;)

13. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

That is true. But although I generally tend to take MS' side on such issues, I think they are not helping matters by having a verification program that actually throws up more difficulties than installing a dodgy warez version that will run straight out of the CD case.

Of course, one could argue that Windows XP is priced too high to start with. What MS needs to do is hit a sweet spot where the advantages of owning a legit piece of software (in terms of support, upgrades, functionality) outweighs the extra expense of buying it instead of getting a cheaper warez version. Given the billions that they make, this should not be too much of a financial sacrifice, but paradoxically could make them much more profit.

14. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Sounds like an OEM problem.
    You could always remove it if it pops up again, WGA is scarily easy to remove from your computer.

15. cderalow

cderalow bondage master!

i found i have the exact same issue using an official copy of win xp pro that i purchased through my college (for $5 mind you because that's what the school charges for a legitimate cd copy of any MS software, limit 1 per student), the stupid tool tells me my copy isn't legit even though i call into microsoft to activate it every time I install, as I've used the same copy for my only windows desktop after every upgrade since XP was officially released

Tags: