1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 'Windows Installation Cannot Procceed'

Discussion in 'Software' started by 123mccann, 13 Apr 2008.

1. 123mccann

123mccann What's a Dremel?

I have a urgent problem, my grandad bought a computer abroad and when we boot the computer up an error message appears stating 'The computer restarted unexpectedly or encountered an unexpected error. Windows installation cannot proceed. To install windows, click "OK" to restart the computer, and then restart the installation.'

Unfortunately, we do not posses the installation disc for Vista basic and I was wondering if by chance the serial key provided with the computer might work with a vista ultimate install?

The notebook model is 'HP Compaq 6720s'

Would be graterful for any replies, thanks.:)

Last edited: 13 Apr 2008
  2. PHPASP

PHPASP I LIKE TO CODE IT CODE IT I LIKE TO

If the serial is for Vista Ultimate, I don't see the harm in downloading an ISO and re-installing it via that way as you have a legit serial. But then, you'd have to go to the notebook's website to download all the drivers you would need.

I suppose once you have the disk you could always perform a Repair?

3. 123mccann

Sorry the computer has vista basic installed, and I was wondering if the serial would work with a Vista Ultimate oem disc?

4. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

I believe the recovery is on the disk. Try pressing F11 at boot (after the HP logo disappears).

If that doesn't work I think you could use a vista ultimate DVD. (If the computer ship with vista, of course)

5. 123mccann

It shipped with vista basic pre-installed and did not come with the installation disc, this is the problem.

6. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

I know, but instead of shipping with DVDs HP have a recovery solution on disk.

You could call HP and get them to send you the recovery kit. (DVD kit) IIRC it's free

7. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Every version of Vista is installed from the same DVD. An "Ultimate disk" will install Home, if a Home serial number is entered.

8. 123mccann

Thanks, for the help. The problem has now been resolved. :clap:

Tags: