1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows Longhorn

Discussion in 'Software' started by Toric, 17 Dec 2003.

1. Toric

Toric What's a Dremel?

We all know Longhorn is at least 2005 if not farther away. As excited as I am about getting a new OS from microsoft, how many other people would rather them not fix old code and do a complete re-write of the core OS?

2. severedhead

severedhead What's a Dremel?

A complete re-write could be refreshing for Windows, they should have an 'advanced' install option too where you can choose exactly what you want to install without all the bloatedness.

If they do just fix up the old code hopefully it will feel really responsive like Windows Server 2003 does.

But would a re-write mean more driver shortages like it did when XP first came out? I didn't like that.

3. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

I have Windows 2003 Server Edition now and thats nice ... no problems ...

So if they wanna use the code from that, it would be good.

Or an entire new code base.... But there are problems with this options, like a whole new set of bugs for them to fix ... whereas existing code is alright to run now, with quite a few bugs fixed ...

I think I will stick with Win2003 Server.

4. severedhead

severedhead What's a Dremel?

Sinizterguy, I think I remember reading somewhere on these forums that you have converted 2003 Server into a workstation, I like the way the Server feels but are many existing drivers and apps/games compatible with it?

5. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

Even tho I have converted it to workstation, the underlying code and core is the same as the server .... its only that some services and functions have been activated that are normally disabled in Server mode.

And everything seems to be compatible with it ... if I have to choose a driver, and I cant find Windows 2003 (usally), I just pick Win XP Pro version and it works fine.

Tags: