1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows Media Center 2004

Discussion in 'Software' started by Spy246, 18 Jun 2004.

1. Spy246

Spy246 What's a Dremel?

Is it possible to buy Windows Media Center 2004 or download it anywhere. When I went to microcenter (a computer store) they said u can only get it with certain systems. They said u cant get the software by itself. Anyone know where u can download it?

2. padrejones2001

padrejones2001 Puppy Love

You are officially out of luck. Windows MCE doesn't come as a standalone package, nor would I trust any site that says they have a copy. The only advice that I have for you is to say you've lost the recovery CD's to oh say and HP model and you need another set. Make up a serial number or get it off of a store model and they should send you a copy free of charge. I must warn you, the OS is 8 discs (I've had to reinstall it once or twice) and it takes a while to install.

3. best49erfan

best49erfan What's a Dremel?

I will be able to get it soon through the microsoft system builder channel.....

4. kill_me_quick

kill_me_quick Big and Blue

Ive got it and its only 1 cd, but the serial i had for it doesnt work.

5. RPC_Student

RPC_Student Banned

Seems like getting a copy wont help either way, its probably got some serious hardware requirements such as specific video card (tv card) manufacturer and version.

6. quack

quack Minimodder

You used to be able to download MCE from Microsoft if you had an MSDN subscription. I'm not sure if that's still the case, but it's about $699 for an OS subscription.

If you've "obtained" a copy, then you probably should have 2 keys. One that you use to install MCE with, and another that you need to change to after installation. Activation of course is always a problem, as both keys are either blocked or have been used too many times. :)

Getting the right hardware though isn't that hard. eBay usually carries a few auctions with the remote control you need and Hauppauge make a TV tuner that is fully supported.

But really, you need to buy it properly/legally or just give up now, and use XP Pro with a few of the other (and some are free) PVR software packages that are out there.

Tags: