1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows Server 2003 Problems

Discussion in 'Software' started by trig, 15 Oct 2010.

1. trig

trig god's little mistake

not sure if anyone can help, but here goes...

my company runs a server (win 2003 enterprise) with, among other things, multiple tasks scheduled to kick off including backups to several databases. we also have a machine that runs win xp pro sp 3 that has several scheduled tasks kicking off mostly early in the morning as well. the big dog is an access application that scrolls through 10's of thousands of customer records (folders on the network) and updates files (adds files/deletes files/moves files). for awhile now the process has been real hit or miss when the scheduler kicks it off. sometimes it stops running a few minutes after it's kicked off, other times it runs for hours before failing. so i guess what i am hoping for is:
    a-is there a free tool that monitors time specific network usage, and
    b-do you think that is even the problem, or am i asking access to do more than it's really capable of

every morning when the process fails, if we go look at the server, there is an error stating that there is a possible deadlock issue or something like that.

2. saspro

saspro IT monkey

I'm guessing the error relates to file locks due to something or someone else having the files open so it can't get access to it and fails what it's doing.

Does it work if you kick it off manually?
    What other kit is on the network (switch & router kit)?
    Any chance of the exact error message?

3. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

is the access file extremely large, has it grown to beyond the capacity of what your server can handle in its current configuration?

what i'm trying to say is, does your machine have enough memory/ free hd space to deal with potentially large files

4. trig

trig god's little mistake

hey guys, thanks for the responses...
    we kick these things off on a schedule, so there shouldn't be any file lock issues....having said that, does a backup cause that lock? by that i mean, can a backup fail because a program is in use, or can a program fail because the folders/apps it is trying to access are being backed up? it seems to always work when i kick it off manually, but runs super slow because of the users on the network by that time. i can try to get the exact error message when it happens again.

these access files are big, but nothing that it can't handle, and there is no space restriction as of yet.

5. saspro

saspro IT monkey

If a user has a file open and you don't have a backup that's open file aware then users leaving files open then backups can fail.

Post the error message & it should be easy to sort.

6. SouperAndy

SouperAndy To Bumble or not to Bumble?

Are the scheduled tasks sufficiently far apart time-wise?

If jobs are 'overlapping', another scheduled task maybe interfering with others and locking files?

Like ^, a specific error message may help :D

Cheers,

SouperAndy :worried: