1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows SUCKS!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Executioner, 22 Feb 2010.

1. Executioner

Executioner What's a Dremel? A quick razor

Just finished spending the last 6 hours re installing windows for the first time on my Toshiba Lappy:miffed:

I thankfully burned all my pic's and music on disc and SD so no major loss other than Toshiba's "BACKUP" that used 4 DVD'S won't even load or be recognised by the lappy program that created them:duh:

Soo I don't get all my settings back or desktop link's,or saved game files:sigh:

I can't even get back my games:rolleyes:

Soo I'll be re installing all my games......AGAIN!:duh:

THIS SUCKS!

(I even lost the sweet pic of the tastefully naked chic I had as my background:miffed:

I guess I'll be more diligent on making copies of my stuff instead of backup's:sigh:

Just needed to vent thanks!

2. Executioner

It took me 15 minutes to get back here! (had to re install Google and jump through the hoops):miffed::miffed::miffed::miffed:

I'm NOT a happy camper tonight! (I'll blow off some more steam)

STUPID$%$%^PIECE OF%$%&%$&COTTIN PIKKIN$%$%$%$%$%&$%$%$%$TRYRGBSSAETA%BSREYS NEYERYRNNYEAT$%^WW$%YY

(Sorry had an anyrism there)

BUT! I feel......still pissed:sigh:

3. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

You have passed the trials to becoming a man, welcome brother.

lol

:D

Nah, just kidding. Just think of it as getting a new computer, I reformat my systems every now and again just to clear up clutter.

4. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

You had to reinstall Google???

Guest-16 likes this.
  5. llamafur

llamafur WaterCooled fool

I reinstall windows at least once a year. Just make a backup of my documents and all should be good.

6. MarkW7

MarkW7 Total Noob

Last edited: 20 Nov 2010
  7. DAE_JA_VOO

DAE_JA_VOO What's a Dremel?

So, Toshiba's software failed, not windows.

Settings you can just redo in a few minutes, save games YOU should have backed up.

Well, you should be able to just reinstall them, assuming that you actually HAVE the games.

So, we've concluded that Windows hasn't actually had ONE problem here.

8. yakyb

yakyb i hate the person above me

sounds like that to me

funny how people slate it off and i havnt had a problem with it since xp sp1 was released

9. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Toshiba's dodgy proprietary methods have little to do with the way Microsoft designed Windows.

10. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I'd be pretty doubtful about a recovery program not working either - they usually just have an image of the original install that they copy over. Not necessarily that simple, but near enough. :p

11. Daedelus

Daedelus What's a Dremel?

I realise you are just letting off some steam, but the none of your problems is Windows related: you used some crappy backup software which failed, and you failed to make backups of important files.

For future reference, install your OS on a different drive or partition to all your data, then you don't need to back-up anything if you need reinstall the OS.

12. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

sounds like your first re-install :)

all the negatives you've mentioned are because you didn't think through, not because windows sucks.

13. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

im going to refrain from the usual "its your fault" lines...

When running any OS.. backup backup backup... can't stress this enough, as it's normally my problem to recover things if anything breaks in my family.. i usually do the old "i told you so" line....

Best thing to do imho, is buy a 500gb external HDD (portable) the WD Passports are quite swanky.

Also, backup all your Music/Documents onto a seperate internal HDD.

I believe this should be the minimum someone should do regarding backup.

Put it this way.. you would moan if your car had no spare tire if you had a puncture..

14. Matticus

Matticus ...

Ahhhh so this is how Google got started. Now if I can just think of a name that is catchy but doesn't mean anything, and get myself some hoops....

In all seriousness, it would be very hard for windows to make a backup of everything. Aside from the fact it is toshiba's program and not a microsoft one. If it did make a backup of everything then you would be right back where you started, with a messed up install of windows.

15. Executioner

Sorry guys for the rant, Uhh no I've reinstalled windows MANY times just the first time on this system. And Yea it's my fault for not backing up my saved games and desktop settings.
    I guess I got complacient. and I'm also lazy, Swappin all the disc's is a pia.

But soon I'm ordering an external hd to do regular backups to, a solid state one:naughty:

I've been playin with computers for about ten yrs now, building from scratch,mods and such.

Just had to let off some steam, I kinda proud of being diligent with regular houskeeping as far as registry cleaning,deletin cookies and all that stuff, but for some unknown reason I couldn't figure out Internet explorer kept popin up that it had to close but I didn't even have it running:rolleyes:

Oh well, it's overwith now.

16. Landy_Ed

Landy_Ed Combat Novice

You brave, brave, man.

17. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

That must be bloody expensive.

To have enough capacity for regular backups your surely going to need a pretty big SSD.

18. Matticus

Matticus ...

Well I am glad you took the abuse well :)

And you have learnt your lesson of backing up without the hellish feeling of losing something you can never get back, which is usually pictures. Word docs can be rewritten, music can be re-ripped or downloaded and games can be reinstalled. But you try re posing all of your pictures again :hehe:

19. Executioner

Why would that be brave? They have an estimated life of approx. 100yrs,no moving parts and very compact.
    Not so much nowadays,around 100 bucks can get you enough storage for all your music,pic's saved game files and such. I've been doing some research and now feel running a bakcup to get your system restored to exactly how it was before the problem is a problem itself. The reason being if it's too easy to recover to backup then...like me you'll become complacent and just keep visiting potentially bad sites or have bad practices and not get a good strong habit of surfing safe and keeping your system clean.
    So going back to an out of the box pc and having to re import your stuff (should) make you alittle more wary on what your doing. Which answers the quote below

In theory:D I know... a nice idea but will it work??? prolly not, I'll end up spilling a beer on the HD :hehe:

Last edited: 23 Feb 2010
  20. theskirrid

theskirrid What's a Dremel?

In which case IE was infected with spyware, usually a hidden toolbar, redirector or search assistant.
    Less pron, more Spybot Search & Destroy called for methinks.