1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Windows Vista prices released

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 29 Aug 2006.

1. EK-MDi

EK-MDi What's a Dremel?

2. yahooadam

yahooadam <span style="color:#f00;font-weight:bold">Ultra cs

which is basically like windows home edition, and doesn't even feature the aero interface

GTFO MS, you can buy XP Home for less then that at the moment (somewhere around £80 when i last looked) (and professional was about £120)

3. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I'll buy the base spec, once dx10 becomes worthwhile but untill then i doubt i'll bother. I suppose i'll have to buy retail since i'm probably going to use it for the next 10 years and goodness knows how many mobo's i'll go through.

4. Kipman725

Kipman725 When did I get a custom title!?!

notice how you used to get one version at the lower price and now you get many versions with only a cripled version available at that lower price and a "value added" product at a much greater price. Anyway Im fully switching to linux in the next week, fed up of windows. Recomend you all do the same instead of buying vista.

/most of you won't

5. Sinner666

Sinner666 What's a Dremel?

Ditto once everything goes to DX10 then I will worry about buying vista.

Beyond that the prices seem relatively reasonable for a new OS. What always gets me is the huge price for MS Office Pro, well I guess now it will be "MS Office Ultimate" to match the Vista naming scheme. Thats what I usually wait for to come out on bit-torrent. That or for my dad to snag a "extra" copy from his job.

6. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

Kipman725 that is an exelent idea, windows will stay in a seprate partiton, just for games, even if it is the cheapest vista.

anyway i will wait untill ultimate is cheaper.

edit: £ 250 = 369.60 € = 471.80 $ :eeek: not for me.

7. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

As you're comparing prices with XP Home Upgrade at £65 (and a good UK price is actually around £90) I think Vista may be a bit more expensive here in the UK than as converted from Canadian money. :(

I got XP OEM, but for long-term use through a few system upgrades I think the Upgrade version is the sensible one to go for, assuming XP OEM is in the Upgrade paths allowed. :worried:

8. Kasrkin Guard

Kasrkin Guard What's a Dremel?

Honestly, I'll be damned before I pay for Vista when it first comes out and especially at these outrages prices.. I don't see a reason whatsoever for DX10 since that will take time to even come of use, this Aeroglass interface is rather useless as I want to get as much performance out of my games, etc.. :grr:

9. Glider

Glider /dev/null

This whole thread reminds me of what people said when XP came out...

Now, Raise your hands if you have XP...

/ME doesn't rase, hugging his Gentoo system...

10. EQC

EQC What's a Dremel?

Some months ago, Microsoft said that the most basic version of Vista would be priced "very competitively" in an attempt to combat piracy. I also remember them saying that if you were caught with a pirated version of Vista, then you'd get rolled back to this basic version.

So, basically back then, Microsoft said "Vista basic is free to pirates." So I assumed that the most basic version would be coming in at under $50...to make it start to compete with the effort that pirating requires.

Looks like I was wrong about that...they haven't lowered the prices at all from the XP rates. Isn't £130 right in line with the $199 US retail that XP Home has cost for most of it's life? And as we already know, XP piracy is rampant, so clearly a $199 price tag is not a piracy deterrent.

Yah...OEM prices will be cheaper...but probably also in line with XP OEM prices. And if you're going to be going online to buy it (since I've never seen an OEM copy in a retail store), you might as well just download it for free.

On the other hand...at least Microsoft is friendly about piracy...and really just tries to make it difficult, rather than hauling my grandmother into court.

Last edited: 29 Aug 2006
  11. Mr T

Mr T 4 Left Into Long 3 Right

Im pretty sure microsoft would make way more money if they sold it for like £50 instead.

12. FooTemps

FooTemps What's a Dremel?

Well... If I picked up a legit copy of xp pro for 25 dollars... I've got to say that MS is making a killing on software sales.

13. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

/Me toggling between debian browsing and bf2 on me win2k box.
    Never did get round to xp, don't suppose i will now.

14. crazy_bob_uk

crazy_bob_uk What's a Dremel?

Anyone notice its cheaper to buy XP home and a upgrade pack than the full versions??

15. EQC

EQC What's a Dremel?

Hmmmm...

I also thought Microsoft would be putting all of the versions onto the same DVD-ROM...so if you wanted to, say, start with "Basic," you could...but then if some months later you decided you needed more capabilities, you could pay Microsoft for the extra licensing fees and be able to upgrade to a better version using the same install disk.

Any word on that concept?

16. Spaced_invader

Spaced_invader What's a Dremel?

Windows XP Home £30
    Windows XP Home Upgrade £65

I think there's a mistake there...

17. MidnghtDrgn

MidnghtDrgn What's a Dremel?

No... "Latest" build, would be the most recent build released, which is PreRC1.

What you're describing would be "last" or "final".

As of right now, PreRC1 is the latest public build. :cooldude:

18. FooSai

FooSai What's a Dremel?

even if the prices had been up for like 30 seconds they would have still been spread over the internet, so taking them off is pointless.

So here's a thought to toy with:

They put these prices up on purpose, not making it look riduclosly expensive, but still that bit pricey, then instantly have them removed to make it seem like a mistake.

Then when vista is released everywhere and is selling it for say 60% of this pricing scheme, what thought runs through "our" heads.... "Sweet, thats cheaper than i was expecting" and we go out and buy a "legit" copy if you weren't, or think "well if thats all it costs i might as well spend a bit more than i was going to and get all the bells and whistles with the "Ultimate" version.

That's my 2 cents on it.

Personally i'll be waiting till i upgrade my system next year to get it, and we'll see what it costs then.

19. LVMike

LVMike What's a Dremel?

SO... How is the upgrade pricing policy going to work? Is it Ligit XP to Ligit Vista or Vista crippled to Vista servicable, to Vista Bling?

20. quack

quack Minimodder

Pre-RC1 (5536) is the latest build of Vista. Considering it was only released to the public yesterday.

How do you know there won't be an RC2? I've already found a few bugs in Pre-RC1 which might not get fixed by RC1. :p

Tags: Add Tags