1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows won't start

Discussion in 'Software' started by lewisbuckley, 20 Mar 2005.

1. lewisbuckley

lewisbuckley What's a Dremel?

Hi, I don't know if this is the right forum, but i'm desperate. Windows XP pro sp2 will not start. That is, whenever it should load the login screen, I get a blue screen for less than a second, then it reboots. I can't get into safe mode either, and i have tried a windows xp repair installation but to no avail. I really need this computer as my project log pics are all on there.

I really need some help on what to do urgently. I am currently using a laptop. All comments really appreciated!! :waah:

thanks!

2. djtitan

djtitan What's a Dremel?

hey dude, wrong forum,

but my thought is that it could be your hard drive, powersupply, or your memory. You can pretty much rule out the hard-drive because its at least booting to windows. If it was your powersupply, you wouldent get a bluescreen, just a reboot right away - but it still could be it. So im thinking its your RAM thats causing the problem. 2 solutions - open your case and reseat your ram (if you have 2 DIMMS in double channel, switch them both on the slots, and the controller ie. 1->4 and 3->2, ), if that doesnt work, try booting into something like knoppix diagnostics, and running a benchmark on the ram - if you crash, there is your problem. It worst comes to worst, just backup all your files (the critical ones atleast) to cds/network or whatever using knoppix, and then format.

3. waitandbleed

waitandbleed What's a Dremel?

Hmmmm Im going to take a wild guess and say you messed with your disk retore option aka return to factory state. and that you completely cleared your hard drive. What kind of computer do you have. Also its not safe to say thats its your hard drive. It very could be. IF you actually see your sign on name then it reboots then its not your hard drive would be my guess. BUT if it goes to a completely blue screen you cleared your hard drive. How do I know? I have done this a couple times. What I would do is get out your factory reinstallation discs. If you dont have them then you can contact your computer manufactuter and buy them from them. Normally bout 20 - 30 bucks. If its custom computer then you need to get your windows reinstall disc.

4. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

Erm..second bad post of yours I've seen tonight?

He didn't format his hard drive, as he can (albeit very briefly) boot into Windows. It's more probably either a driver issue or a hardware issue, but he most certainly did not format his hard drive...

Can you boot into safe mode? If so, it's probably something to do with drivers or such. If not, it's probably a hardware issue. If you can boot into safe mode, try holding shift down while Windows is booting (while you see the XP screen with the blue scrolling bar) to stop any startup executables, and see if it works.

If it won't boot into safe mode, try to stick the drive in another machine, back up all your important files, and reinstall Windows.

As for you waitandbleed, :eyebrow:

5. waitandbleed

Haha you really picking fights dont you? Here lets see what you said...

"Can you boot into safe mode?" READ WHAT HE SAID "I can't get into safe mode either," HMMMMMMMMMMM

Also how can you assume hes booting windows? He said BLUE SCREEN when you boot windows yes you do get a blue screen but, HE NEVER SAID HE SAW the logon screen. HE said where it should get to. Hmmmm.......I may be 14 but, doesnt mean I dont know anything. Also I have had this happen to me 3 times tell me if this has happened to you.

HAHAHAH AND YOU EVEN AGREED WITH ME AND YOU SAYING IM WRONG?
    LMAO

".....and reinstall Windows."

6. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

You've accidentally formatted a hard drive three times?

Fool you once, shame on it
    Fool you twice, shame on you
    Fool you three times, well...shame on you again. It's a hard drive ffs..

He's also said that he gets the blue screen that loads before the login dialogue...So, Windows fully loads, but will not finish booting.

:sigh: Now that that's over: As I said before, try holding shift whilst the Windows boot dialogue is up, it could be a startup program b0rking you. Otherwise, stick the drive in another machine, copy your important files over, and do a FORMAT (yes, a purposeful wiping of all the data on your hard drive, including what would commence the Windows boot sequence...), and reinstall Windows.

waitandbleed, just for the record...if he formatted his hard drive, he wouldn't get anything. He would get a message that says "No operating system found", or "Please insert boot media, or reboot and select proper boot device" or something along those lines. Please don't post back and argue, it seems you don't know what you're talking about, and I don't feel like taking the effort to correct you :blah:

7. RR5

RR5 What's a Dremel?

Without being a flamer and pointing out the obvious, I'll answer the problem with real technical experience.

We need to know what STOP error you are receiving. That is the only sure fire way to resolving the issue.

Secondly, a blue STOP Screen is windows' way to halt the operating system from running into any major problems which would cause data loss. The most common I've seen is messed up RAM, just replace and you'll be fine.

8. waitandbleed

He doesnt have a OS installed so his computer keeps restarting. Mine did and no it wasnt on purpose. I had a Virus. Also how are you able to keep assuming that windows is fully booting? He says its gets to a blue screen. Then reboots. Mine did the exact same thing.

9. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

OK. He has a damned OS installed. Afaik, he gets through the entire Windows booting procedure, and into what would be the login screen. However, he doesn't get the login dialouge. His system simply restarts.

lewisbuckly, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

waitandbleed, please don't reply with a flame about how "eye gnoes nothing!!!!1111", because your level of intelligence isn't impressing me at this point in time...

10. RR5

RR5 What's a Dremel?

Do this.

Get into recovery console and run:

fixboot
    fixmbr
    chkdsk /r then /p

We really need to know what STOP error you are getting.

So we assume you've seen all this:

BIOS Boot screen, the quick xp loader bar at the bottom of the screen, the XP boot screen, then a welcome screen or the login screen. After that it reboots?

11. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

waitandbleed, nobody has quite come out and said it yet, but you are not being entirely helpful with your technical posts. Being 14 is cool and all, but some of these people have been using a computer since before you were born (I know I have) and may have somewhat of a clue ;)

If all else fails you could try a repair install (assuming the install media you have allows for this).

12. RR5

RR5 What's a Dremel?

So what.. you callin us old?

13. waitandbleed

w/e I'm done argueing I tried to help because I thought I could relate to the issue. Also I was trying to help then I get flamed by Zephyr. If no one believes me then go and read the other post. I try to help out then I get told I know nothing.... You have a been a real ****ing prick Zeph. I'm not going to fight anymore or try to help out anyone anymore cause I see you have this completely under control with you and your "Bill Gates" computer skills. I never said I knew anything more than you. I was just tryin to help but I see helping is a bad thing for you UNLESS its done by you. When ever i tried to say something to help someone out you can back at me at yelled at me. I have yelt to yell at you once besides this post. I dont see how you disagree with me, then agree with me, then disagree. But I guess I dont know anything bout computers. Also I find it quite funny that an ADULT someone I am suppose to look up to is picking fights with a 14 year old. Well Im sorry to Zephyr and everyone else but I just wont help anymore. Also Yo_Duh_87 and RR5, I never said I was right on anything and Im well aware of your knowledge of computers. I was just saying from previous experience of what has happened to me it sounds like something I could relate to. But once again Im sorry to everyone this has affected. You wont be seeing me in this thread again. Also Good luck to person that is having game stuttering problems (CSS LAG thread) and to lewisbuckley, hopefully your computer problem will get solved quickly!

14. Zephyr

Zephyr Go V-Boy, Go!

All I have to say is, if you didn't think you were right, why did you post?

Maybe a lesson will be learned from this -- if you don't know what you're talking about, it may be best not to post at all...

15. RR5

RR5 What's a Dremel?

The thing about computers is, no two problems are exactly the same.

16. Yo-DUH_87

Yo-DUH_87 Who you calling tiny?

I disagree. The idiot behind the keyboard remains a constant problem :D

That statement had nothing to do with this thread at all ;)

Turns out my sister's computer is exibiting similar problems, so I'm off to run a repair install on that to get things all fixed up for the time being ;)

17. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

You get that blue screen, the best thing to do is to turn off automatic reboot, normally you do that in windows, but upon startup, press F8, in that screen there should be an option at the bottom saying "Turn off Automatic Reboot".

Now you should be able to read what the blue screen says, tell us and we may be able to resolve the problem.

18. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

Hi Lewis, my advice would be to ignore a lot of what's been said in this thread as it's quite frankly just wrong. To make things easier for you I'll pick out the things that are valid so you don't have to wade through all the arguments! ;)

The most important thing is:
    Personally I hate that auto-reboot as it never gives you enough time to see the problem.
    Right, I'm not saying I know everything about computers, just that I fix problems like this at work every day of the week. In my experience these are the things that could help you.

Personally I would probably put the Hard drive in another PC (or rebuild the PC with another Hard Drive), get the data off and then reinstall windows again. Not being able to get into Safe Mode is generally a bad thing. At work I have an ERD disk which is fantastic for being able to back up data to the network and see into the event log when a machine is playing up.

They do an emergency version which might help you:

http://www.winternals.com/products/repairandrecovery/erdcommander2002.asp?pid=erd

Boot from that and it looks like it's loading XP. It will need to find your OS system files before it can load though. Occasionally I get a problem where it can't even get into ERD.

Also, one other thing. Did you change anything before you got this blue screen? As you posted in the Graphics Card forum originally I wondered if you'd installed a new card or drivers?

Good luck, let us know the STOP error, and let us know how you get on :thumb:

19. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

Hang on... I've only just seen the date of the original post. Are you even still having this problem Lewis?!

20. lewisbuckley

lewisbuckley What's a Dremel?

Thanks for all your tips guys! Unfort. too late. I was desperate so I simply swapped HDD's around and ended up backing up then formatting which has been a real pain. Maybe this info will help others as it's now listed on google.
    Thanks once again, Lewis

Tags: