1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows windows xp instal problems

Discussion in 'Software' started by tipsterb, 12 Apr 2004.

1. tipsterb

tipsterb New Member

hello, a friend of mine has asked me to post this information on here, in hope that it could help him fix his computer.

he has recently bought a shuttle, and yesturday put it all together, with 2 hard drives in, a 160 gig, and a 40 gig...., well he didnt reinstall windows or anythink first time. but when booting up, the windows screen would come up, but restart itself during the time when that first screen is on, it was doin this in one big cycle.

so he installed 98 on the 40 gig drive. installed 98 and it worked fine. but when he tryed to install xp he got a blue screen. then he departioned both hd's, and tryed xp on the other drive. and got a blue screen. tho whilest doing this the whole drive was formatted. then tryed xp pro, and still didnt work. then he deleted the partions, and repartioned it. left it for the night and in the moring found.

that the 40 gig hd, was showing up in fdisk as 8 gig. and the 160 as 45. tho according to him, the bios showed it up as 40 and 160 respectivly.

he then put the 160 in his old system and it said it was 65 gig, and not 160 gig.

he then mentioned that fdisk, after trying to partion the drive, didnt show up with a results screen, or a comformation, like he said it does, but just asked him to restart.

has anyone got any ideas why it might be like this???, thank you for readin this long post.

2. mikey

mikey New Member

sounds like hes messed up the fdisk'ing .....

didnt his new harddisk come with a CD/floppy disk these usually come with Maxtor drives and format/partion everything for you so you cant mess it up... :)

if he doesnt have one of these, try (jus on one hard disk) deleting ALL the partions (inc. active ones) and then create one new partiton which is the full capacity of the hard disk...

i'll try find a fdisk guide for you:

ah ha, here u go Oooo go on baby...click me one moe time :)

thats should help ya out :)
    ltr :D

3. tipsterb

tipsterb New Member

ah, thanks loads mate, ill ring him up and tell him. thanks :)

4. da-dude

da-dude New Member

hey dudes
    many a thanx to tipsterb for posting that on my behalf (im the guy with the problem....the hdd one that is)

basically, this has me stumbled, ive tried numerous partitions on both drives, independantly on 2 separate machines
    when i stuck the 160gig back in me old system, it showed up as a 63gig - so i partitioned and installed 98SE. I then tried to install xp pro on top as per usual, but i got the same blue screen (not the blue screen of death but the light coloured xp blue screen)
    i put it back in the shuttle, and i decided to re-partition again, but this time split the drive in two partitions.
    because it was now showing up as a 25gig, i put 12 gig in the first partition and 10 gig in the second partition.

Whats weird is the first partition, although being half of what the hdd was shown to be, said it was only 8% of the disk (8% of 160 is 12)
    the second parition initially showed up as the remaining 92%, despite being smaller, but then changed to 6%.
    so fdisk sees the hdd as 25gig but knows its 160!!
    so i then formatted c:

it comes up with formattin 63 gig!!!!
    then finishes having formatted 163gig!!!!

i load 98SE on, to find 127gig has been allocated to c: whereas 0gb has been allocated to d:

try and install xp, it says the hdd is corrupt, and cannot continue setup - this is after half the installation has taken place

i try the same with the 40gig, but it still shows as an 8gig, and that doesnt take xp either. im now runing the system (shuttle) on 98SE with the 40gig pretending to be a 8gig in

ANY HELP WILL BE MUCH APPRECIATED!!!!!

5. dom_

dom_ --->

thats fat32 and ntfs mixing for you, its not a good idea. I reccomend the seagate tool to zerokill them then format ntfs both. Dont add any partions (also make sure the jumpers arnt set to limit the drives), then chuck in the xp disk when the utility asks then reboot to install.
    The seagate tool will load the install files on the hard drive for you, how nice :)

link: DiskWizard

6. da-dude

da-dude New Member

il try that but...

ive tried one hdd on ntfs in on its own, to no avail
    tried both, or just one on its own on fat32 to no avail
    i dont mix me file systems, not after the last time i did that!

will seee how it goes:)

7. da-dude

da-dude New Member

woohoo shuttle finaly fixed!!!

thanc for that utility, the "zero fill " utility somehow made the hdd work, only one problem, i keep getting this message saying windows will shut down in 1 minute, then it does!

never mind, its working!

8. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

Uh-oh, sounds like you got the Blaster Worm. Is it shutting down because of RPC Service Terminating Unexpectedly? If so, check here for removal instructions:

http://www.microsoft.com/security/incident/blast.asp

If you type shutdown -a at the Run Command it will stop the reboot so you have time to download the patch & removal tool :thumb:

Tags: