1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows XP OEM License

Discussion in 'Software' started by severedhead, 10 Jan 2007.

1. severedhead

severedhead What's a Dremel?

To quote the Microsoft OEM System Builder License:
    Basically if it has been replaced due to a fault it can be activated again, which is fair enough.
    What is interesting is the upgrade part, does anyone know any more about this? If I buy OEM, does that mean I can upgrade the mobo under the system builder license?

2. Sp!

Sp! Minimodder

stictlry speaking you'll need to by a new licence if you change your motherboad but it will reactivate if you change it but you may need to ring microsoft to do it and the'll just ask why your reinstalling if you just say due to hardware failure then they'll have no problemn doing it for you.

3. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I think we need a sticky on questions like this about OEM licenses, it seems to pop up a lot.

4. Pegasus

Pegasus What's a Dremel?

I know that the connection to the "box" for the MS license is what seems to be advertised.

However, some two years ago I bought a WinXP Pro OEM license with an $2 mouse.
    Last year I bought a Win2003 Web Server OEM license, but by then they had changed the rules and I also had to get a new HD.

Last month I then upgraded the motherboard - with new graphics card, new ram and new CPU - and I had no problem what so ever installing the same WinXP. The only re-used thing was the HD (well, the PC cabinet, USB network with all the abt. 20 USB units etc. were also reused).

The last two practical informations I have read about OEM is that:
    - 120 days have to pass between upgrading the Motherboard/CPU
    - you can only upgrade 10 times

As mentioned, my personal experience is that I was able to upgrade with no problem whatso ever.

Last edited: 10 Jan 2007
  5. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

I think a lot depends on the mood of the MS employee on the other end of the phone. I think he also "knows" from the string you give him if the system contains any parts that were in the original, so if it's the original processor and/or hard drive you're more likely to get a new code.
    This from MS in Sept 04 (same link)
    See above for more links to the source material.

Note also a comment from a Scan Retail Sales Manager
    Which is highly at odds with this
    Not in MS Europe, it seems. Get the OEM SB License here.

Last edited: 10 Jan 2007
  6. BUFF

BUFF What's a Dremel?

ny understanding is it only covers an upgraded mobo in the event of a warranty replacement where the original mobo type is unavailable to replace with.

7. Pegasus

Pegasus What's a Dremel?

I might add that my upgrade went through just using the standard internet activation. I did hot have to place a phone call.
    I suspect that it went so easy because my first install happened many, many months ago.

.... or maybe MS just has a huge big secret profile with my name on it :jawdrop: ..... and some how I have scored enough support points to get special positive treatment :hip:

Argh - i'm just kidding - but just because i'm a bit paranoid --::-- does not necessarily mean that i'm wong!! Does it :confused:

8. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

I've heard of that happening, with the 120-day ruling, and hope it works for me. I've got the upgrade bug after two years on this system and it will mean the same swaps as you. If it fails, there's always Vista...

9. severedhead

severedhead What's a Dremel?

That clears up a few things. Thanks guys.

Basically no, but you may be lucky.

10. OneSeventeen

OneSeventeen Oooh Shiny!

The whole purpose of having a discount on OEM licensing is for this very reason. It is to make it easier to build and sell computers at a more reasonable price.

Being the frugal individual that I am, I have not upgraded my computer in many years (still running an Athlon XP 2500+ that was pretty new when I bought it), so paying roughly $130 USD extra each time I upgrade isn't bad. (Considering the next upgrade will be to an entirely different operating system, that's not bad.)

Tags: