1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows XP won't start after XP loading screen

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Nicho133, 14 Aug 2011.

1. Nicho133

Nicho133 What's a Dremel?

Hey, my system will not load Windows XP Pro, what happens is most of the time the system will POST, then the Windows XP loading screen will show with the bar moving, then after that it will just slow a blank black screen and then reset, or sometimes just freeze. I’ve tried running safe mode but that doesn’t work either. Sometimes when I turn on the system it will also not POST (most of the time it does POST). So I’m thinking this is a hardware issue.

I’ve checked the temperatures and voltages in the BIOS and they are all good.
    I’ve been currently running Memtest86 for about 12 hours now and haven’t got any errors so far, but I’m going to keep running it until 24 hours to see how it goes.

Does anyone have any other suggestions to fix this?

The specs for this system are different from my sig, they are: Abit Fatal1ty FP-IN9 SLI Mobo, Core 2 Duo E4300, 1GB DDR2, Nvidia 7300GT, 250GB WD HDD, SilverStone ST50F-ES 500W PSU 80+, Sony DVD rom, Floppy Drive, Windows XP Pro.

Thanks for anyone's help :)

2. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Multimodder

first port of call as its the easiest option is to rum memtest but youve already run that so the next thing would be the HDD, grab a bootable SMART checker (im pretty there are a few on the hirens boot disk) or try another hdd in your pc and try to load windows onto it

3. _Vermin

_Vermin Fallout

I had this problem ages ago, I just ended up reinstalling XP.

4. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Multimodder

this as-well^

5. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Sounds like just the usually XP crap out problem.
    Just re-install, and all will be fine, don't break your head on it, it will take you more time.

Then again, it would be a good time to upgrade your OS, especially if you are a student due to the very low price tag for a Windows 7 64-bit license, or even free. If it's full price... then might not be a good idea, as Win8 will be out end of next year (public beta should mid or late mid of next year)

6. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

Could be a corrupted boot install so really a re-install is in order, you could try and repair the windows installation by using your windows disc and just perform a repair as oppose to a install but usually its more of a headache than doing a clean install but its worth a try than or if you manage to get into windows at any time download something like tuneup ultilities 2011 and use the free trial to just clear up any registry or corrupted file issues.

7. ryan498

ryan498 What's a Dremel?

As GoodBytes said now is a good time to upgrade, especially now because windows xp support has ended.

8. thelaw

thelaw What's a Dremel?

April 2014 they will be finishing updating/supporting it.

9. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

2014 is the dead line that if you call Microsoft for help, they will tell you "Sorry, we can't help you anymore. The good news, is that we won't be charging you for our services, for that question."

Also, this is the time, where if a major security whole is discovered, Microsoft won't assigned any one to fix it.

Actual support of XP, where Microsoft will fix any small security holes, and do bug fixes, is long gone. In fact, I don't know if you notice but XP updates are incredibly slow compared to Win7. Microsoft already moved XP updates to their old and slow servers.

10. ryan498

ryan498 What's a Dremel?

Oh, sorry .. my bad :p

11. Nicho133

Nicho133 What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the help everyone :) Like a lot of you said, I'm just going to upgrade to Windows 7. Memtest showed no errors after 24 hours. I installed XP on old an 20GB 11 year old HDD I have spare (To grab my data from the other one) and it still works :thumb:

But I did notice that I have a faulty Molex connecter on my PSU, when I plug this connecter to my LED Fan, the LED will light up but the fan won't spin, everything else works fine with the other Molex connecters. Is this anything to worry about or should I just get another PSU?