1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Windows zero-day flaw bypasses UAC

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 26 Nov 2010.

1. Porkins' Wingman

Porkins' Wingman Can't touch this

I'm with Alex on this one. I never have any anti-virus or anti-malware apps running from startup on my pcs. They're always such a hog of system resources and don't stop you getting problems.

Ever since I started running nothing but the Windows Firewall on XP and now Windows 7 I don't think I've had a problem. Frankly, if there is some **** running in the background, I ain't bothered - no-one's swept my bank accounts or impersonated me in an act of terrorism or paedophilia. Yet...

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

More reasons to be infecting by things UAC pass through attack.
    Microsoft Security Essential is what you need. Crazy efficient, doesn't feel it like you have anything running, never bothers you unless for somethings really important (threat), fastest A/V around (also in 64-bit), And beats all free solutions and some paying solutions. It doesn't slow down your computer one bit (and yes it works, check reviews). It scans for malware, spyware and all sorts of viruses from 1 program.

Windows XP you need to unplug yourself from the Internet, and even then. XP protection is like the Berlin wall, with huge holes every 2 meters with the sign "Please enter, you have safe passage here", and you actually do. XP firewall might as well be disabled. Haven't you noticed the times you use a program that access the Internet, and after 2-3 runs, finally Windows firewall ask you to allow it. HELLO! Kinda late! Any program can add itself to white list without you knowing as everything runs as Admin. So abysmal I help no one that has computer problem with XP. And since then, I get peace in mind. Vista/Win7 works and is safe. XP it's problems after problems, infection after another infection. Anyway.

Windows 7 is simple.. if you open something that needs Admin rights that should not, it's most likely a virus or malware. UAC at work. So far nothing can actually penetrate other the discovered method on PAPER. Which is something you should not even worry about, as that is why we have an Anti-Virus, and finally, we have a excellent one.

With XP and older Windows you surf the web you get infected, why?
    Some security whole on your web browser or Flash or Java or other plug-in give granted for malware code to be executed and attack your system directly. UAC blacks all that, as no one is admin. Hence why it's important to have it turned on.

3. Turbotab

Turbotab I don't touch type, I tard type

Though on W7, you can go the Start > type 'cmd' in search box > and right-click on the search result, to run a cmd prompt with admin rights.

4. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

startcmd.vbs
    Code:
    set objShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    objShell.Run("cmd")
    WScript.Sleep 500
    objShell.SendKeys "c:\Example\example.vbs"
    objShell.SendKeys "{Enter}"
    WScript.Sleep 100
    objShell.SendKeys "Exit"
    objShell.SendKeys "{Enter}"
    something like this would let him run it all admin if he's running multiple scripts.. or better to just combine the scripts together

call it with something like I posted earlier.. you'll get one prompt

start.vbs
    Code:
    Set objSh = CreateObject("Shell.Application")

objSh.ShellExecute "wscript.exe", "c:\Example\startcmd.vbs" , "", "runas", 1
    or call it from the task scheduler and there's no prompts

5. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

In other words the best case solution for anyone is to custom create a new CPU type (say x128 or something) and compile an OS and a browser for it. Hard to be hit by a virus then.

6. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Tags: Add Tags