1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress [Windrider] Shiny steel for charity -Finished and given away-

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by La carotte d l'o, 18 Mar 2008.

1. BigPoppaJNutZ

BigPoppaJNutZ Beyond the Dremel...

:D I do what I can, lol :D

2. Braveheart

Braveheart a dremel? i just use my teeth

what do you use to make it shine like that?

3. La carotte d l'o

La carotte d l'o What's a Dremel?

That's it.

4. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Is it too late to claim the computer you gave your son????
    I love that design. The color scheme is nice too. Purple transparent plexi like that is nearly impossible to get in the US.

This is going to look great. the way the metal makes the colors jump out is fantastic. The shine won't fade like aluminum does.

@Burnout21- I was thinking AC would have more torque.:D -you don't want it stopping when it hits bone.:naughty:

5. La carotte d l'o

Thanks, actually that plexi is uv-blue but painted for the backside with metallic paint. My girlfriend made that mix, personally i'm colorblind so i can't say nothing about the color by myself. :)

Here is some pictures for that first project:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Closer look for behind the case, there is also reset switch, and connector for external powerbutton. I tried soldering for the first time in my life when making that, so that one leaf isn't straight, and those joints are visible, but i'm still quite satisfied for it.

[​IMG]

I had a little busy, so i forgot to take final pictures, i'm divorsed so this picture is taken by my ex-wife, and it was quite hard to get her to take even that.

[​IMG]

I changed my plans when making it, in first place i started to make very simple case for my own use.

Small update, very small:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yes, place for only one gfx and i'm going to use mobo's integrated sound card.

Because of these easter holidays, i can't buy any necessary stuff until tuesday.

Last edited: 23 Mar 2008
  6. Darkened

Darkened Minimodder

The shiny little thing is looking good, really good to be exact.

And of course it's always good to see another Finnish modder around the forums, welcome on my behalf.

To tease our non-finnish speaking crowd:

Mistäpäin suomea olet kotoisin? Ootko itse hitsannut tuon kotelon kasaan vai onko sulla joku tuttu metallipajalla töissä?

And after that load of jibberish, I'll welcome you once more to the forums and say that I'm going to keep a close eye on this mod (and the next ones from you of course :hehe:).

Darkened

7. La carotte d l'o

Jyväskylässä olen asustellut jokusen vuoden, ja täältä keski-suomesta olen kotoisin vaikka Turussa ja Helsingissä joskus asustellutkin. Tuossa metso paper:lla olen paperikoneita kasannut viimeiset 8 vuotta, eli itse olen metallihommissa ja itse pykästellyt, nuo ohutlevytyöt ei niinkään kuulu toimenkuvaan, mutta pääsee niitäkin tekemään silloin tällöin.

And thanks, nice to be here.

8. Braveheart

Braveheart a dremel? i just use my teeth

thanks.

9. La carotte d l'o

Today i got motherboard tray finished:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here it is. I wanted to make some "dimensions" so i raised it a little with spacers.

[​IMG]

And a closer look.

[​IMG]

Last edited: 24 Mar 2008
  10. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

where the PSU is mounted ruined it for me, this was looking cool, but unsure why you would mount the mobo that way around and stick an ugly PSU outside....

11. La carotte d l'o

I'm going to cover that psu, so it won't be so visible. I like it's easier to make connections, when connectors are placed like that, and i don't like backpanels full of ugly wires.
    It's different, but i decided to make it that way, afterall it's still under construction. ;)

12. Cheapskate

Quite nice.:D
    I hope you're happy! I'm taking inventory of all the items I have made of stainless steel, and I'm eyeing the neighbor's BBQ grille with bad intent.:hehe:
    -There's a SS slide at the local park, I fear for it's safety! God help me if I see an unprotected Delorean!

13. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

"Run for it, Marty!"

La carotte d l'o: This build is gorgeous. Love the work on it.

14. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

That looks great! SO you're saying you started from normal steel sheets and polished it? Thta looks like chromed! :jawdrop:
    Great job!!!

15. La carotte d l'o

Lol. :D

I used to do stuff for fishing, rodholders, tackles etc. and some grilles too. Then i decided to do something else for a while, and now i have noticed that lcd-screens or leds actually have longer lifespan in computer case than rodholder or BBQ grille, so i think that maybe it's better for me to stop doing those things anymore.

Thanks for comments phinix and E.E.L Ambiense. :)

I have a little problem, i can't find those chrome coloured fans anywhere. :( ( 3 weeks delivery if ordered )
    My local store's are filled with those Fatal1ty products, but no single shiny fan. Moreover i'm allready decent fps player, so i don't need any fatal1ty coolers to help me with that. :nono: So maybe i just have to paint two black fans to get forward, or wait.

Edit:

Small update:

I bought those black fans, and maybe i change them later, when i got shiny ones. I just wanted to do something.
    I started to buil these "wireless fans", and did some parts.

Someone said that phonebook's are useless these days. Those are priceless if you're drilling with that "circle cutting" thingy.

[​IMG]

I used 4mm thick polycarbonate plate. I will do some smoothening for that center piece after i have done those metal parts.

[​IMG]

I did six "power rail" pieces at the same time. I have use only for four, wich stay protected for scratches between those extra
    pieces during drilling etc.

First i pressed six acid proof steel plates against, welded together at corners, drilled the holes, attached with screws and cutted shapes with corner grinder.

[​IMG]

Power rails, and fangrills at one package.

Needs still smoothening with dremel. I will sand and polish those plates before bending, it's easier that way.

[​IMG]

Some work and overall look should be better. If it doesn't, i just need to do better ones. :)

Last edited: 26 Mar 2008
  16. La carotte d l'o

Fan holders and corner brackets for mb tray, done.

I decided to leave those like that, it gives more "colours" for the case. I also thought that, not so shiny details gives more aggressive look. Case named -windrider- needs loads of aggressive details, and i don't wanna waste a good name. :)

[​IMG]

More details coming, sooner or later.

17. Dark~3nergy

Dark~3nergy what was dat sandvich ?

wow that's some nice metal work !
    keep up the good work !

18. BigPoppaJNutZ

BigPoppaJNutZ Beyond the Dremel...

I like the metal work too. I bet this is going to be another super sweet case!

19. Cheapskate

It looks like you are going for the 'do not touch' look.:hehe: There's going to be lots of nice points and scary fanblades when you're done.
    If you're not going to polish the parts, I would at least sandblast them for a uniform look.

20. La carotte d l'o

Yeah, i hope so. I have been thinking 'spikes', 'blades' or 'wings', but probably i'll take them all. I think that polishing again when fans are ready.
    Usually i change my mind really fast, so it's better that i don't "speak" my intentions so much.

But this case is going to look a -Windrider- when it's done. :D (..or how i see, Ensiferums -Windrider-)

Thank's a lot for commenting guys! :)

Next update coming next week.

Ps. If i make huge spelling mistakes, feel free to correct them.