Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by La carotte d l'o, 18 Mar 2008.
welcome back, waited for soo long.
Looking forward to seeing more.
Thanks Burnout21, tjay@TJ and [ZiiP] NaloaC.
I have to admit that it looks a little "different".
But i didn't want to make single themed case, "spider case" would be too boring.
I did something today, those need still sanding and some shapening.
More things where you can hurt yourself.
Cutted four pieces with corner grinder, did little shaping and bending.
Welded with tig and sanded joints smooth.
Place where i'm going to but those:
Sorry for the picture quality, my camera has problems with focusing because of those reflections.
Welcome back man you realize a great case
You have some really nice metal working skills. Congratz on your work so far, I can't wait for more.
Thanks for the feedback guys.
I have to do some more acrylics.
I need to make something for that reflection:
Thought that i could cover the backside of the "blade thingy" with some green or light blue uv-acryl, shaped similar like the "blade"?
I try green first, if it looks bad with the blue, i try blue. After that i need to do some sanding for those metal parts.
Yay! You are back!
Yep, i did a new case, because i liked that simple "no-frame" desing and didn't want to leave too many things unfinished.
I did somekind of logo. I forgot to drill hole for the led, thought that red might look good.
Suddenly i noticed that it looks little familiar:
Nike modders edition.
(Also i had a little cat visitor last week, its amazing how much they have overabundance of hairs to be dropped everywhere.)
I'm terrible hand writer, as you can see.
I will still finish it to see how it looks, also i have some other parts to be sanded.
I also ordered some stuff.
My intention is to use cpu and gpu passively, so i decided to use this for the cpu and use polycarbonate parts to guide air through it.
I got kind of weird feeling. I have to spend easter doing some sanding and that's what i said last year. Déjà vu.
Happy easter to everyone.
Did some acrylics.
Cutted some pieces with jigsaw:
Sanded with 180 grit and 400-600:
Didn't polish them, because i wanted to hide some rivets under them.
I also shaped and sanded the second "blade thingy", but forgot to take pictures.
Then i glued them with 2-part epoxy:
And there they are:
Too bad that i had no uv-lights to testing, so i have to wait until my order arrives.
Tomorrow i will finish the mb-tray.
The polish make this mod incredible keep it up man
wow! this is absolutely incredible. you are a very good metalworker!
any estimate on the weight of the case? i would assume it would weigh LOTS.
Thanks for the feedback.
It weights now 22.5 kg. When its finished i think that overall weight is near 27kg.
Thats a lot for case in that size, but i think that it will have quite long life span
great mod! and amazing metal work.
Thanks, good to be back.
I finished the signature sign:
I wanted to make text look like an watermark, i can't get the text visible in the pictures, but its there. -> "La carotte d l'o" wich is shortened from La carotte dans l'oreille.
Placement is there:
I think is should use cloves, i polished it yesterday and now its again covered with dust and fingerprints.
can't put my tongue into mouth ... my jaw dropped to the ground like a stone ... WOOOOW !! that's amazing!!
BTW about the dust and fingerprints - transparent paint should do the job
I did something today, but didn't get anything finished.
Great stuff. Get used to dust. You see it a lot more on a shiny rig. You will get a LOT of dust while you are still sanding the plexiglas.
Thanks. Yeah, i have noticed that, i really need a garage or something. My neighbours must think that i'm some clean-o-holic, who else uses his noisy vacuum-cleaner four times in a day.
This case is maybe coming to my son, never know.
So i thought that i should make one spare door, without anything sharp. Again, It needs sanding, it starts to be quite familiar way to spend evenings.
I used corner grinder for cutting and "way too big" plasma cutter for that net thingy. Its kinda funny machine, it has a 80A minimum current so cutting feels mostly like a blasting holes with explosives, so i needed to do some fine shaping with my loyal depurring tool.
And the backside:
I used a manual pending machine at work, i really like that thing, all pendings in this case i have done with that.
And sorry my bad english, i have drinked some, some, some and some vine to celebrate Finnish ice hockey championship, first time ever my home town got it and thats "the big thing" in Finland.
That green piece of acryl in "power frame" looked stupid, so i changed it.
I used my jigsaw and cutted piece of 8mm uv-"seablue" acryl, drilled some 5mm holes and did countersunks with 8mm drill bit in both sides. Then i sanded it smooth with 240 grit dry paper and filed some curves.
Getting those countersunks smooth wasn't so easy than i firstly thought, i had to "sand" them under water with 10mm drill bit using my hands.
That was my best idea and it worked with acceptable results.
I really need to buy some new tools, so far whole case has cost only 50€ for steel, 20€ for polycarbonate, and ~ 30€ for misc. Acryls are leftovers.
Flash makes the color look all wrong.
I also did some shaping for the web with files and started sanding 400 grit going now.
Reason to make those holes and countersunks was, that it changes color and reflections when you look it at different angles. Now i like it.
I also noticed that reflections need something to reflect, so heres my buddy.
Now, i might have time to finish that mb-tray.
Separate names with a comma.