1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete ⭐ WING X99 - A CNC-milled Scratch Build! (Benchmarks,temps and wallpapers posted)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Andreas | Brodholm, 19 Aug 2016.

1. jones-965

jones-965 Modding & tuning

Perfect job, congratulations. :thumb:

2. Andreas | Brodholm

Andreas | Brodholm Minimodder

Haha, glad you like the videos! Put a lot of work in them :)

Tried to go for a "tree look" with the cables. Wanted some "natural" shapes and not just straight lines etc.

:hehe:

My head also hurts :lol: :lol: :lol:

Haha! Was quite a milestone for me also! Felt huge relief!

I try my best to pick music I think everyone can listen to! I like to edit to beats so it is nice when the song have clear beats but it must still have the right feel! Techno is sooooo 90s :D

Thanks mate!

Sorry for all the late replies, was at birdie LAN and I have been editing pictures and making the video since then. I am basically done now, I just need to sort the pictures and then render the video! I hope I will have it all up by late tomorrow! :dremel:

3. HandMadeAndroid

HandMadeAndroid That's handy.

4. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

:lol: Got me too.

5. Andreas | Brodholm

Final Pictures!

The time has finally come to post the final pictures and video of this project. It has been a crazy ride for me, both with very high ups and very low downs. It has taken almost two years to complete and well over 1000 hours of work and planning. Starting with ideas, crude sketches, countless hours in CAD to finally taking physical form. But I have learned a lot and got to know a lot of new friends during the process!

I would like to thank the sponsors of this project: ASUS, INTEL, CORSAIR and EKWB for believing in me and the project! And also to the people behind the brands, who are always there answering questions and offering support! You know who you are, thanks!

I would lastly like to thank everyone on forums, Facebook and Youtube who have helped me with ideas, suggestions, and kind and encouraging words. This really keeps me focused on the goal and enables me to achieve the best results possible. I cannot stress this enough, I owe you a lot! I hope you will enjoy the final video and pictures of the project WING X99.

THANK YOU ALL!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Reflections
    I think it is important to look back at what you have done and reflect on what you could have done better, most importantly regarding methodology. After thinking about this for a long while I have realized a few important things.
    The most important one was that I bit off more than I could chew. I really think I took it a few steps too far with this project, with designing and building my own CNC and then immediately starting on this one. Since it was basically only me working on this it was just*WAY too much work for one person to get done in a reasonable time frame. I have worked way too much lately and it has effected both me, my university studies, my fiancée Josefina (who is amazing and understanding) and my friends.
    I can't help but to think back at those months around when I worked 6-7 days a week, 14+ hours a day. I basically lived in the workshop and only slept and ate during that time. Don't get me wrong, the feeling I have now is amazing and I am very proud of the results. But next time I will definitely change some things to lighten the work load or get someone to help me more. All in all, if given the choice, I would do it all again. I have learned a lot from this, not just as a modder, but also as a person.

I know a lot of you have asked about how much the whole case with components weighs. And I finally have the answer! It is 42 kg, or about 94 lbs :)

Side note
    The build also qualified for the “DreamHack Summer Master Class Casemod Championship” along with 5 other great builds! WING X99 will be on display for the competition, but also in the ASUS ROG booth that they have at DHs. I will be there a lot of the time so come and say hello! Hope to see some of you there!

Final words
    Right now I feel very empty and happy at the same time. The project is finally done after all this hard work. But I mostly feel amazing and have genuine gratitude towards everyone who helped in any way with the project. Be it writing a kind comment, helping with the design or actual physical help. YOU are amazing!

You all have my gratitude! Thank you!!!!

Dot_Kappa likes this.
  6. HandMadeAndroid

HandMadeAndroid That's handy.

Thanks for the entertaining journey, it's been great to watch this come to fruition. You've done an amazing job, it looks factory if you know what I mean.

I like the desk photos the best! :thumb::D

7. Hasle

Hasle nohasslemods›

The amount of dedication, sheer craftsmanship and vision that's gone into this, is simply incredible! It's been a pleasure following you and WING X99 from the beginning. :)

8. Cheapskate

I didn't cry...:worried: No, Really!
    This was a super fun project to follow. I totally understand the burnout you are feeling, but I'm hoping you get over it soon.:D Your work is top-notch and an inspiration to the rest of us.
    It will start to bother you that you haven't played with the mill after a while. I'm looking forward to that.
    Also, I'm going to need a wallpaper of that manifold assembly to print out and put under my pillow.

9. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Dear god it's beautiful.

10. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

I would take that to bed.

Willingly.

11. Andreas | Brodholm

Sorry for the late replies guys :D did not mean to tease
    :naughty:
    I know what you mean! Production items these days are hard to match! They got all these fancy jigs, production lines etc. Cheating! I only have my dirty hands! :dremel:

Thanks man, glad you enjoyed it! :thumb:

Yeah, that feeling of just being totally empty from all the work. I bet it is not that healthy to keep that up for longer periods of time... But it is over now! Until I get my next stupid idea :duh:

hmmm... :idea:

Also... Ohh god why did I image search custom body pillow!!!
    Found this though LOL :D http://www.artscow.com/photo-gifts/body-pillow-case/body-pillow-case-dakimakura-911
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kudos mate :)

That would be if you could carry it! :D
    I carried this to the birdie LAN and strained my back... had pain for several days... :waah:

12. Cheapskate

UNDER my pillow! :lol: -and why did I follow that link!?! Why did I look through the review pictures? Why did I laugh and want to wash my eyes out at the same time?

13. Andreas | Brodholm

Haha ;D

14. SiZZiGY

SiZZiGY Nano Evolution in progress...

This is one of the most fabulous mod I ever seen, congrats man you have built for sure one of the nicest case ever made.

Last edited: 18 Jun 2017
  15. Andreas | Brodholm

Thanks man! I appreciate it :)

16. Andreas | Brodholm

I somehow missed this picture in the final post. But I had no picture from the rear. So here it is :)

[​IMG]

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

18. Andreas | Brodholm

South Park :D

I saw some broken links when going through the album but I fixed it. Don't know if it was a temporary thing due to the forum update or not but it works now. Let me know if you find anything missing!

19. Mosquito

Mosquito Just 'Plane' Crazy

Missed this one until now, turned out awesome! I wish I had the space, budget, time, and knowledge to run for such machines in my life lol

20. Cheapskate

That's a nice rear...