1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows WinXP boot error

Discussion in 'Software' started by seanblee, 16 Dec 2001.

1. seanblee

seanblee What's a Dremel?

Why can't things ever be SIMPLE?!? Every time I boot up my WinXP system I get a 'Windows has recovered from a serious error' message, the sort you get when Windows crashes. Except Windows hasn't crashed! It does it every single time I boot. I thought I was on to something with a setting called 'CleanShutdown' in the Registry, under hkey_current_user\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer, which is either 1 or 0. It's permanently set to 0, and even if I change it to 1, when I reboot it gets set to 0.
    Please help!

Sean

2. Phil

Phil What's a Dremel?

It has to default to 0 in case something goes wrong - think about it.

The only way it can get set to 1 is when it's shutting down and it's the last thing it does before it powers off.

I can only think something must be interupting your shutdowns...but I suppose you've already ruled that out ?

3. RTT

RTT #parp

overclocked recently?

4. seanblee

No... the only thing that's happened between booting normally and booting with this bluescreen is an nVidia driver infinite looping BSOD (see the VIAarena forums for masses of info on this!). Could that have anything to do with it?
    I even tried rolling back to a previous system restore point, but that did nothing.

Sean

5. seanblee

I fixed it! How? This'll make you laugh... I booted into Safe Mode, then I rebooted. That was it.
    Mind, I came up with a temporary solution in case I needed it... disable error reporting :D

Sean

6. lowtech

lowtech What's a Dremel?

you found that 1 too...:)

Tags: