1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks WinXP vs Win2k

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sco0by, 27 Feb 2002.

1. sco0by

sco0by Mmm pie.

Is there any real difference between Windows XP Pro, and Windows 2000 Pro? As far as I know they are both based around the same core operating system, but WinXP is prettier.

I have WinXP on my main rig, and Win2k on my 2nd rig, and I cannot get the two to network together using 2 NIC`s and a patch cable. I was thinking of running WinXP on both machines, as it seems to be easier to set up a home network on XP.

I`m curious as to whether people have connected a WinXP & Win2k pc and got it to work - or whether I should just install WinXP on both machines?

Suggestions please :D

2. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

I had 2k and XP working, obviously check that you can ping each machine. If you can, then make sure file and printer sharing is on, if so make sure no firewall is blocking sharing such as zonealarm needs the ips range of your lan to be added to enable sharing.
    If the machines dont show up in network neigbourhood, seach for them by name. Dont forget on 2k u have to add the user name that you want to connect, ie if your name in win xp is say scoobu, add an account on the 2k machine with scooby. Dont ever use the guest account as its a security risk.

3. bradford010

bradford010 Bradon Frohman

OK, you mentioned 2x NICs and a patch. I assume thet means you're using standard patch to try and create a direct link, ie no switch/hub.
    You need cross over cable for this.
    Be warned though, I recently tried this to network 2 Win2K machines and it wouldn't work, with absolutely no reason why. On simply replacing the x-over with patch and introducing a switch it worked perfectly.

4. corvette

corvette What's a Dremel?

same prob here with networking win2k with a x-ova i think it might might have a proggy that only hooks up as a server

5. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

got xp hooked up to my 6networked 2k machines and works fine...thats through a hub though....

6. benje

benje What's a Dremel?

recsently me and my mates had a small lan of 4 peeps at my house, 2 on XP, 1 on Win2K and 1 on ME. Using a 24pt Hub the XP ones worked fine together but could not see the other two, the 2K and the ME could see each other and worked fine together lol :eyebrow: even though they were all on the same hub and setup fine.
    In the end we all installed a copy of WinXP and there were absolutely NO PROBLEMS after that, everything worked fine.
    Dam j00 M$ foo's

7. benje

benje What's a Dremel?

Ohh yeah forgot to say, just the 2 of us on XP machines using a X-over cat5 cable works fine aswell, however this is not the case if using ME + XP or 2K + Xp :blah:

8. Penrhos

Penrhos What's a Dremel?

No problems - got W2K firewall using ics to a 100 switch and got Win-98SE,Win-ME,Win-XP and Win-NT4 PC's all hanging off the switch no problem at all - just set default gateway on them to nic-2 address on the W2K box and set obtain ip-address and away it went.

9. neuro

neuro What's a Dremel?

Tags: