1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Wired or Wireless network, why does it choose which?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Lovah, 27 Nov 2013.

1. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

Hello,

I'm using Windows 7 Professional SP1 on my HP ProBook work-laptop. At work I usually work from a docking station with a wired network but in meetings often on our WIFI network. I usually don't bother disabeling the wifi.

Often I notice that windows is connected with the WIFI network, even though I'm in my docking station with a wired network. The latter is obviously the more secure, faster way to connect to our network.

I can't figure out why it choose the one over the other. It isn't that it was connected to the wifi first... or always prefers the wifi. It doesn't make any sense (to me at least).

Does anybody know when it choose which? And if I can 'force' it to prefer wirednetwork when it has it available?

thanks, Michiel.

2. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

You can try to give system preference to a connection, though it's supposed to default to wired whenever present anyway...
    Control panel>Network and sharing>change adapter settings>(right click adapter)properties>(select)TCP/IP4>properties>advanced>uncheck 'automatic metric' assign lower number ie 1 to the wired connection and 5 to wireless. If use IPv6 repeat on that as well use same metric number for each interfaces.