1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Wireles access point with ~4 Ethernet ports

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by aLtikal, 21 Feb 2016.

1. aLtikal

aLtikal 1338-One step infront of the pro's

I can't believe how difficult it's been to find a reasonably priced wireless access point with ~4 ethernet ports.

Can someone help please. Heres my requirements :

• Connect to existing wireless network, and provide an outlet for ethernet ports. Ideally with 3+ Ethernet ports for a TV, PS4, etc - all of which require a wired connection.
    • Currently have 60 Mbit Fibre Internet
    • My Router is an ASUS Nighthawk R7000 Router (Wireless AC1300 2.4Ghz + 5Ghz)

Could only seem to find options costing >£100 pounds which is above my budget. Surely im missing something?! In essence its only a 'switch' that receives a wireless signal instead of a wired connection

+Rep for help. Thanks in advance!

Allan

Last edited: 21 Feb 2016
  2. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Almost any consumer router* (and definitely any router* that can run DDWRT or similar) can be operated in 'AP mode' as a combination of a wireless access point and a switch. It will be easier to recommend something if we know what you want do with this device, and your current network setup.

* A home 'router' is actually three different devices in a single box:
    - A Router: that checks packet destinations and routes them to the correct network. For a home router this boils down to two destinations: 'something in the house' or 'the internet'.
    - A Switch: that routes packets based on their destination MAC address betwen network device ports. A switch doesn't care about IPs, just the hardware that is literally pluged into it
    - A Wireless Access Point (WAP/AP): Think of it as a switch for wirless devices. It also has to handle things like authentication & encryption, and a bunch of stuff to do with how radios operate in a noise environment.

aLtikal likes this.
  3. aLtikal

@Edzieba

I've updated the original post with some clearer information. Thankyou for raising that - in hindsight as I hadn't been clear. Im hoping for an out-the-box solution, rather than setting it up with DDWRT (even though I know it's great)

4. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

You'll want a wireless bridge then, like this.

5. aLtikal

6. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

It's a case of trying to find range extenders with multiple ethernet ports and then checking to see if they can act as a bridge. There's a couple of Netgear AC extenders which will do what you want like this one which should match up well with your Netgear router.