1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Wireless Adapter Help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by El Rando, 14 May 2009.

1. El Rando

El Rando I know what a dremel is

Hello fellow Bit-tech'ers.

As you can see from my post count, I don't really post that much here but that will be changed (Build coming along shortly).
    Anyhu, I'll soon be heading off to uni and the place where I have booked into to stay does have Broadband but not in everyone's room. To connect you must go downstairs into the lounge.

Now I do all my work and surfing on my machine on not laptop so Im sure it would look silly if everyday I was to bring down my screen, speakers and computer just so i could get a good connection. I'm sure you can see where this is going.

I'm looking for the strongest Wireless Adapter you can get on the market. Strong as in through concrete walls strong. I know it may not work and some may say "you're better off getting a decent laptop" but I'm willing to give it a go.

If you need PC specs its in my sig.
    Cheers for reading and I look forward to your responses. :D

2. Joekerh

Joekerh Penniless enthusiast

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833130057

This or something like it should work just fine. Not sure if its the concrete walls so much as the number of them and how far you are from the router. It sounds like they are using one or two home quality routers in your lounge area rather than something stronger for the whole building (lame). I can't guarantee access if you are more than one or two floors away.

3. El Rando

That looks cool enough. thanks for the quick reply too.
    Anymore suggestions or we agree that one will be perfect?

4. Frohicky1

Frohicky1 Awaits his moosey fate . . .

Anything with MIMO will do (wireless-n is MIMO with extra throughput as well) so looks good to me :D what router do you use? It'll work better with a MIMO or wireless-n router, even better if its the same brand as the card.

5. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

6. LT.BEECH

LT.BEECH Minimodder

this should do the job clicky
    and then get this so you can move it around to find the best signal strenth you find.

or you could break the bank and get this:jawdrop:

7. El Rando

oooo choice. I like choice.
    Might go towards that Asus WL-130N. I don't actually have a set budget but i'm willing to spend up to £100. I know, thats just silly.

@Frohicky1 : Not sure what router i'll be using as its the building where I am staying who owns the router.

Thanks for the reply's people. Much appreciated

8. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

it will most likely be a crap wireless G router.

best option i can think if is get a wireless card such as the Abit Airpace PCI-e. and add an strong aerial too it.

most of the aerials that ship with cards are quite weak.

get a hi-gain aerial for your wireless card. maybe something like a 10db or 12db.

directional and omni directional also makes a diff. Omni ones tend offer lower singal strength overall cause they spread their signal in all directions funnily enough.

directional ones can provide a very strong signal in 1 general direction. bad side to this is can be difficult to get the position right.

may be best to find out what router they have in building as MIMO or N would be alot better than G even with a high gain aerial