1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Wireless bridging (attn. Koolvin)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Phil, 25 Oct 2001.

1. Phil

Phil What's a Dremel?

I live in a big student block of flats, which used to be owned by the nearby university but is now privately owned and run.

I've been desperately trying to get NTL to fit me a cable modem but they're muppets and they jsut cannot and will not lift a finger to do it....even though the whole place here is already cabled (we get all cable channels free...well, inclusive in £65/week rent)

I have some friend who live about 4 doors down, it's just under 100m distance. Not sure about clear line of site here though...

They have a cable modem, and say they don't mind me bridging my networks to theirs if I buy all the equipment

I've read a bit about various bits of kit and they all seem horrensously expensive, is there any way I'm a) going to be able to do this and b) for less than a small fortune (i'm anticipating over £200 already)

2. Ataraxia

Ataraxia <b>OOH BABY!!!</b>

we're currently testing wireless networking here.. i'll see if I can find out the range/cost etc of the system we've got

3. moose

moose What's a Dremel?

I hear Koolvin's Netgear kit is 'bog' compliant, if that's any help :D

4. Ataraxia

Ataraxia <b>OOH BABY!!!</b>

It's a Cisco Aironet we've got.

[edit: ...which is £250 just for the host PCI card.... then you need the base station and probably an antenna or 2 as well - it's rated at 30m as standard]

by 'bog' compliant, does that mean it fits in the sh*tter?

5. linear

linear Minimodder

We bridged across a courtyard with less-than-perfect line of sight, about 150m. We used Aironet gear too (pre-Cisco) and it was tits (SNMP manageable, spiffy web GUI, etc.). But antennas are the thing. You'll need an antenna configuration that has adequate gain to do the distance and bandwidth you want. I used 6dB patch antennas ($80 or so) but you could build a Yagi with a bit more gain and more directionality for $15 yourself, just Google around for Yagi and pick a design for 2.4 GHz. With the right antennas, even the home gear should get you there.

Check this out: http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20010628.html

6. RTT

RTT #parp

yes i heard that too :D

7. Phil

Phil What's a Dremel?

The cost of this all is just insane :(

8. Forsaken

Forsaken GameFaction.com

aye, Koolvin in the crapper posting news :p

Tags: