1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Wireless Connection Dropping

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ricx, 23 Oct 2004.

1. Ricx

Ricx What's a Dremel?

Hi

We've set up a an 802.11b adhoc wifi network in our house, all machines running xp, either SP1 or SP2, and it works fine for the most part, but occasionally my connection will drop out, then go into a cycle of constantly connecting and dropping. Windows reports the signal strength is excellent, but doesn't actually send/receive any packets.

The only workarounds I've found that work are a reboot, or going to device manager, disabling the card for a minute or so, then enabling it again. We can't reproduce the problem - it seems to be random.

Two machines have this card :

Ebuyer 802.11g+ (based on texas instruments chipset)
    http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=64618

The other machines have other 802.11b cards. We're all running the 802.11b protocol atm, no WEP.

Anyone have experience with this ? Any suggestions / ideas ?

Cheers !

2. buzzy

buzzy What's a Dremel?

Have you checked the vendor website for updated drivers? They do tend to correct a lot of issues like this, where the physical signal is good but the traffic just doesn't happen. Try that first...

HTH
    Buzzy

3. Big_Den

Big_Den What's a Dremel?

Had the same problem with a USR Ad-hoc setup. Updated drivers solved it for me...

Have now moved to a router setup.... got fed up with having to have the main machine on all the time !!

Tags: