1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Wireless Router QoS/MAC Throttling, DD-WRT Etc.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TheStockBroker, 19 Nov 2009.

1. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

Evening folks,

A newcomer here on Bit-tech; used to be very much active on the old Custom PC forums - But after their closure and subsequent move here, I failed to port myself to your forums, as I seemed to be spending less and less time working with computers. However as it happens I've found myself in a time of need, and once again need an active source of reliable information/help and a bit of banter.

Currently an undergraduate student at University, and living in a shared house with other students with whom I'm graciously sharing my Virgin Media cable connection.

As I suspect you've already realised, herein lies the problem.

The house is of some mediocre proportion, and as such there are 5 persons, including myself, who are reliant on this one internet connection. I'm subscribed to Virgin Media's flagship 50Mb connection, and attain on average, a very usuable downspeed bandwidth of some 96% (or 6MBytes/ps) of the quoted 50Mbits/ps. No complaints there then.

The problem comes into play when the varying other users of the wireless service, my housemates, decide to leech torrents seeming continuously; even though it was agreed that torrents would be left until [essentially] night-time.
    I've already taken the social approach, with a kind request & indeed a second [more] annoyed request.

Before anyone jumps to the conclusion that i'm being unreasonable; I should be quick to point out that I alone am paying for the service, and am only allowing the others to use it as a kind gesture, and a show of [insert word of choice here].

Not wanting to retract the gesture completely, as it's only a select few abusing the service, I then took what I would call 'preventative measures' :D

It was very easy to go into my routers settings and having assigned static IP address to the various client MAC addresses, enforce schedules prohibiting the use of ALL the possible infringing ports during the daytime. However, this doesn't seem to work, I think the sheer number of ports I've blocked, overwhelms the poor router/firmware and renders any progress that might have been made moot.

Ports Blocked:

1-19
    24-79
    81-442
    844-8079
    8081-65534

The gaps are for obvious reasons: Http, HTTPS, FTP, Skype etc.

UPnP has been switched off, to prevent their clients from being reassigned different ports, or indeed being moved to the likes of port 80 etc.
    Their static IPs prevent them from roaming, and potentially bypassing the filter.
    Port Forwarding/triggering allows only a select [secret] few ports [mine] open.
    The 'scheduler' is not to blame, Bittorrent clients suceed whether it's set on a schedule, on 'always' or 'never' [obviously].
    I have sole control of the cable modem and router.

The router logs show the BT clients ports being actively blocked, but in odd, uneven intervals - But as said before, I suspect this is because the router is overwhelmed.

SO.

I've been looking into DD-WRT, Free WRT, Open WRT, Hyper WRT, X WRT and Tomato.

BUT:

I have access to only two wireless routers.

A Netgear WGR614 [v9]
    A D-Link DIR-615 [Hw Ver D2]

Neither of which are up to the filtering/QoS job, and neither are supported by the above linux replacement firmwares.

So, I suppose I'm asking whether I've left anything out, looking for suggestions, or a router swap for something supported by DD WRT!

My Regards,

Look forward to hearing from you.

T.S.B.

2. decebal_12000

decebal_12000 Minimodder

You should be able to block the client for torrent from your router but if you do not have the option you just try to lower the priority.

3. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

4. Burnout21

Burnout21 Is the daddy!

just say that you shall start suspending the service unless those people stop doing it during the day.

The ones that aren't the problem will be pissed but should be fair and come down on those who are downloading.

Peer pressure, its the only good use for it.

5. TheStockBroker

TheStockBroker Modder

Wireless Router QoS/MAC Throttling, DD-WRT Etc

Thank you for your replies folks, they're much appreciated..

Decebal - Both of the routers are those that have been supplied with my Virgin Media connection over the years - and as such host such crippled firmware [purportedly to reduce technial service costs?] that QoS options are essentially disabled, and neither have the option to control packets at the application level, as you suggest should be possible [Hell, I didn;t even know that was possible]

Both routers have SPI, Stateful Packet Inspection - but I assumed this was for the inbound firewall; was I, infact, incorrect - and this is what you mean? - Thus should I enable it?

Barndoor - I'm looking at the purchase of a new router as a last option - I'm already forking out £45 a month for the forseeable future for these cheeseballs, I'd very much like to avoid further cost to myself if at all possible. Although, that said, the link provided was by far the best router capable of DD-WRT I've seen [with regard to specification] - most of the supported models are much older 'G' routers with less RAM and Flash memory..

Burnout - Easily the most simple suggestion; but I feel bad, considering if I cut them off [very simple - removal of the MAC from the accepted client list (none of them are even computer literate, so MAC spoofing notwithstanding)] - they would have nothing.. The only reason the line is even mine, is because I moved in a few days before anybody else did back in October..

So I suppose the question remains: Who wants to swap an ageing b/g router for a shiny new mimo Draft1/2 'N' one? :worried:

T.S.B.

6. barndoor101

barndoor101 Bring back the demote thread!

im thinking that the social option is better. ie if you find you are getting very slow connections ban their MAC addresses for a day. then if it happens again, 2 days. eventually they should get the message (or at least clear it with you when they want to torrent).

7. Shepps

Shepps Slacking off since 1986..

I faced a similar problem in my first year at Uni. It was only 2mb iirc, few people abused it seeding torrents at 100% of the upload bandwidth. It's the upload that cripples your connection. In my experience routers seem much better at sharing downstream bandwidth compared to upload. Have you suggested that you configure their torrent clients? i.e limit upload to a few k/s? Give them the ultimatum, you configure or you'll have to kick them off for abusing your generosity.

Your best bet for traffic shaping or similar would be a smoothwall box i think, might be worth checking out.