1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks Wireless/wired setup confusion

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bennifer, 31 Mar 2005.

1. bennifer

bennifer What's a Dremel?

Hiya, Im really confused as to if what im trying to do is possible with what ive got at the moment. This is the setup im trying to make work in a very sexeh paint drawing!

[​IMG]

All machines are running Windows XP SP2. The Dell (acting as fileserver) has the BT 600 adsl line running into it through a westell usb modem jobby. This machine is permanently on. It communicates fine in filesharing terms both over the wired network with crossover lead, and also fine over the wireless link.

The problem is that internet connection sharing only seems to work for either the wired network or the wireless one - you can only enable this on one at a time so it seems. Am I missing something really obvious that lets me enable the internet for everyone?

Cheers,
    Ben

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Generally, i think you need a program to help you set up the connection sharing as windows isn't much cop at doing it. There's a program floating around called CCproxy which i used for some time, it's free provided you have only 3 PC's :).

3. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Are all ip adresses in the same ip range? Are they all in the same workgroup?

4. trigger

trigger Procrastinator

How about bridging the wireless and wired networks together, then using ICS over the bridge?

5. ehrnam45

ehrnam45 What's a Dremel?

I'd say screw the M$ ICS and get a linksys wireless-G router. Hardware firewalls are really where it's at, and gives you the peace of mind that software firewalls just can't. Plus it won't matter what you throw on the network OS-wise if you add a MAC or LINUx box.

6. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

You can only share the internet connection using one connection at a time. Windows does not have the capability to share an internet connection over two LAN connections at the same time, its to to with the ip addresses, Windows has limited to connection to network connections on 192.168.0.1, which can only be used on one adaptor at a time. Apparently it is something to do with M$ relationship with China.

Best thing to do is to set up a proxy. I use Jana myself as I know how to use it and its pretty secure. For a very basic proxy, use proxy plus.

Problem solved really, I did that at school sharing my rig's connection to the school over wired and wireless to people in the sixth form. (Its residential)

Don't get linksys, they are unrelaible over wireless as hell!

7. Reaps

Reaps What's a Dremel?

Take the two connections (wired and wireless) and highlight them, then right click the two and click 'bridge connections'.

Assign it an ip etc (192.168.2.1 for instance) and point your pc's to that gateway. The bridge links the two together and allows you to share the internet to both, as windows sees it as one connection.

This should negate the need for extra software, the only problem you might run into is having to disable ics and re-enable it after you've created the bridge so it's pointing to the right connection.

Hope this fixes it ;)

8. Reaps

Reaps What's a Dremel?

Oh and in the future i would highly recommend getting an wireless adsl router and just linking the pc's to that, since it uses less power and of course make less noise.

The one i have is a belkin adsl2+ jobby, lifetime warranty etc, ~£80 from all good retailers.

Not that i'm saying having a internet gateway is a bad thing, it just has a tendancy to fall over now and then heh.

9. ColD_FusSioN

ColD_FusSioN What's a Dremel?

the easiest solution is to setup a proxy server... there are another solutions like port forwarding using nc; but why complicate your existence, right???

10. kickarse

kickarse What's a Dremel?

He uses a USB to the DSL Modem...
    You can only bridge one connection at a time...
    NIC to WLAN
    NIC to USB(LAN DRV)

There's software that enables you to bridge multiple connections... lemme try and find it quickly...

11. bennifer

Legend, if you could that would be great... as ive tried some of the other methods and nothing seemed to want to work for me :(

12. kickarse

err...

Let me get this straight...

You have in the server
    1 x NIC (connected via cable directly to computer #1)
    1 x USB Wireless Dongle in ADHOC (WLAN Driver)
    1 x USB (LAN Driver to modem)

Computer #1
    1 - NIC (with crossover cable directly connected to the server)

Computer #2
    1 - USB Wireless Dongle (WLAN Driver)

The most logical, useful and useable solution is to get a wireless router. This will save you headaches upon headaches. Since there is no easy solution. The way you have it setup is more ghetto then I would go but untill you added the wireless it worked becuase of ICS through the wired connection. In any event you won't be able to get away with buying hardware or software to get this to work. My suggestion, again, is a wireless router. And no Linksys isnt crap, dlink is. :rolleyes:

I suggest
    Linksys - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...CategoryId=pcmcat25300050001&id=1051384663529
    Netgear - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...CategoryId=pcmcat25300050001&id=1051826245223

I use netgear products...

13. bennifer

Thats correct. "Ghetto" is my middle name and my first is "Cheap" so if I can avoid getting a wireless router then all the better. QUICK EDIT never realised you were the same guy as above saying about that software.

So theres no bridging software that will do it then? :(

14. kickarse

Not that I can find. I doubt windows XP would allow it. Windows 2k3 server might if I recall correctly. You might just want to go with Linux. It does PPPOE for the router modem dialup. It can bridge multiple connections. And it should support everything you have automatically. You can share your drives, etc.

Tags: